Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Road side replacement of alternator belt ?

grumpy the 7th

I'm off to Europe for a month in the car and along with all the spare bits I've a new alternator belt.

Has anybody done it?

I'll describe how I *think* it could be done at the road side.

Looking at it with the two oil pipes through the belt it looks a bit like a Chinese puzzle. But I guess I can remove the Apollo top breather and it's top oil feed and pull this from the 'wrong' side of the metal radiator pipe to the Apollo. Then slacken the Apollo jubilee clip and lift the Apollo and slide the new belt over the lot and refix everything in reverse before adjusting the tension on the belt?

I wouldn't want to find I've missed a procedure whereby more pipe work has to come off as I'm not carrying 7.5 litres of spare oil (unless I remove her kit bag from the boot) 

Have I assumed anything that's not achievable

Cheers

I think it is common practice for those with Apollo or other oil pipes though the belt to fit a new belt around the pipes in advance and cable tie it safely out of the way so that if a roadside replacement is required it's just a case of slipping on to the pulleys without having to disturb the oil pipes.

Jonathan, do you know if anyone who has managed to use one of those emergency belts on a Caterham? I would have thought that it would be unsuitable as a replacement for a modern flat poly-vee belt, I can just imagine it flying off, although I may be completely wrong there!

You can do it without removing the top oil hose.  See post #1 here.

But why not rig up the belt in a convenient position in advance of your trip?  You can hook it up out of the way with cable ties, ready for use should the need arise.

ETA: Must learn to type faster!

JV

Why not simply fit the new belt before the trip?

Touch wood, I've not had one fail, but I have changed it once or twice as a precaution over the last 18 yrs.

I never had muuch luck with the emergency belts back in the dim and distant past - simply pulled apart under load.

I think it is common practice for those with Apollo or other oil pipes though the belt to fit a new belt around the pipes in advance and cable tie it safely out of the way so that if a roadside replacement is required it's just a case of slipping on to the pulleys without having to disturb the oil pipes.

yes exactly so - and repeated by John V. Pre-fit the spare and tie it back out of the way and relax. Those oil pipes are a real B when in the garage never mind at the road side, AND you need two large spanners, that fit. Fit and forget. oh and make certain it's the right size.

Fitting a new belt before (every?) trip? Mine's never failed, so that would have been 15 years of un-necessary belt changes.  Each to his own of course. I do replace whenever the pipes come off for other reasons.

anthony - note to self, refit my spare belt!

what's an SV ?