Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Fog light switch

Paul_Hedley

I have, I think, a failed fog light switch. Is there an easy way to confirm whether the diagnosis is right? I have a halfrauds basic switch (3 terminal - +, ACC and earth) but I can't get the fog light to work at all. Either I haven't got the wiring right, or the problem is somewhere else (let's hope not!).

Any way I can check the wiring? Is it worth a continuity check from red/orange wire to bulb terminal? Is there anything else I can check?

Thanks in advance to those more experienced in electricals than I.

When I've had problems with the fog light (usually on the yearly check a couple of days before the MOT !!), like a lot of other electrical problems, have usually found it to be a bad earth.

Last year this included the earth wire itself (even though from inspection it looked fine)  - when I had the lens off having tried most things, and all wires looked fine I ran off I ran  fly wires off the bulb to a good earth and the battery and it worked and then eliminated it down to the earth wire

Usually with switch problems, I found jiggling the switch has got the bugger working and then I've dismantled the switch and tackled the metal bits with emery cloth for a permanent job - In the 3 and a bit years of ownership (the cars now 27 years old) I think I done just about every switch on the dash