Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Steering column pedal box grommet

TomB

Hi,

I have had new footbox fitted by Arch with a 48mm hole for the steering column.  Unfortunately, my old grommet doesn't now fit as it is too small. 

This is the standard part, 48mm OD. https://caterhamparts.co.uk/fittings/4901-grommet-steering-column.html

The hole this original parts fits must be a bit smaller, say ~44mm OD, so I need to source something else.  Any thoughts? 

Thanks 
Tom 

I think you will find that the max outside diameter of the grommet from CC is 48mm, but in cross section there is about a 10mm recess inside the outer circumference to fix into the bulkhead hole.  The challenge is that the hole for the steering column is in the center of the grommet, but usually the column does not slot through the bulkhead aperture in the middle of the bulkhead opening and some gap is hard to avoid.

Hi Jim, 

That's right - my problem with the new hole is that is 48mm OD, meaning the old, and I presume standard grommet, is too small.  The recess around the edge of the grommet serves no purpose as the grommet is too small.  I think I'll have to find a 50mm grommet and cut a hole in the centre.  For whatever reason, the new hole appears to be too big!

Hi, that's certainly one solution.  I could make a small ali rectangle with a 48mm hole and glue or rivet it inside the pedal box.  My pedal box is powder coated black to match the engine bay, so Id want to hide it inside.  

That's interesting, I haven't my original pedal box to compare. I wonder if Im missing something?  Ive got some black PC ali sheet on its way, so I should be able to make something up.  Just another fiddly little job that eats into the summer. I should have started this rebuild earlier! 

Tom, your idea of fitting a 50 mm blind grommet and making your own hole for the column is probably a good idea as you can position the hole to accommodate the column which is likely to be off center to the bulkhead aperture.

A couple of other thoughts .... For the sea dogs amongst us, nautical equipment suppliers sell "witches hat" grommets in large diameter that might do the trick. Is it worth trying a ball joint gaiter with a cable tie holding it on the column side?

Witches hat grommets! I like them, I’d not heard of such a thing. I think what I’ll do is order a blind larger grommet - they are only a couple of quid for 2 - and look at a small plate to bind into the inside of the to train the original/ standard grommet. I just need to find a pair of compasses to draw a suitable sized circle on the Ali before cutting it out! 

• Area Representative

Tom

If i recall correctly my car had the grommet on a small alluminium plate that was attached to the pedal box with pop rivets once the column was fitted. This allows the column to run centrally through the grommet. A little bit of rubber grease on the column helps to ensure it doesnt bind on the grommet.

Tonight I’ve made a small Ali sheet with a ~40mm hole in, to which the rubber grommet fits into. Placed on the inside of the footbox, the steering column passes through and all seems well. Next time, I’ll slide the ali piece and grommet a back into the pedal area and insert some  Sikaflex and bond it in place.  That should  do the job *thumbs_up_thumb*