Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K Series engine advice - broken or not?

MereCat

*byebye*

Hello 

Just finished a morning run out all seemed find no issue with power and running smooth.

last 2 miles I pull away hard in first (unusual for me) and accelerate through the gears. All pulling fine until I slow down and hear the engine sounding like a bag of bolts. It also sounds like something fell off but it could also have been a couple of pops from the exhaust??

The Red warning light is on and it's hunting. Managed to limp it home but it's struggling to idle. When I rev it the engine just rattle.

1600 K series DVA with all forged internals.

Bottom end ?

bearings ?

or Pistons? 

Any my thoughts and help would be greatly appreciated.

its done 22k miles.

It could be disastrous or it could be simple.  I think we'll need a lot more info...

(As 7WotW says) What red light are you describing (oil pressure, charging)?  And is there oil?

What do (did) the gauges say (oil pressure, water temp)?
Have you removed bonnet and nosecone to have a look?
Whereabouts does the rattle seem to originate?
Are all the ancillaries where they should be? (alternator, starter, exhaust system, fan)
Is the alternator mounting bracket secure?
Is there coolant in the expansion bottle?
Does the clutch operate smoothly?

Whereabouts are you?  Is there a local member who could have a look/listen?

JV

Sorry yes it was the red ignition light.

oil pressure is 2bar so normal although I could try starting her up again to check??

oil is on max on the dipstick as I check levels each and every time I go out.

water temp as electric is always suspect sometime it works other it does not so always gone but oil temp usually between 60-80. Fan kicks in at 90 something and the oil temp is always an indication for me that I need to open the heather up and blow off some air. 

Clutch ok

alternator and starter motor in place 

BUT alternator pulley is hanging out of the engine block. Looks like it's come loose.

i can rattle it! Good Bad Ugly??? Is it just a tighten up or could I have damaged bottom end?

any idea of torque setting for bolt assuming I have not knackered the thread and it's just come out?.. Would explain the hunting as not charging?

oil pressure is 2bar so normal...

That's ok at idle but low otherwise.  It would be nearer 4 bar when running at 4k plus.  I wouldn't start the engine until you've found the source of the rattle (assuming it's external to the engine).

BUT alternator pulley is hanging out of the engine block. Looks like it's come loose.

Do you mean the pulley on the alternator itself or the crank pulley that drives the alt belt?  Any chance of a photo?

Is the alt belt still there?  Is the alt mounting bracket still firmly attached to the block and alt? Is the cylindrical spacer still there?

Btw, what year is the car? And is it EU2 (with distributor) or EU3 (without)?

JV

Might seem like a daft question assuming not damaged the thread , any chance of swarf getting into the block or is this sealed so just a thread to secure alternator and no need to worry?

worse case scenario re tap the thread if it won't go in from spinning for a few miles? It's literally hanging on by the peverbial thread with the Apollo hose stopping it from dropping off. Although I stil think I lost something when it happened? Would a drop in voltage cause a misfire / exhaust to have a burp ? With the ear plugs in I could not tell 

The spacer (a cylindrical metal bush about 25x25 mm with a hole down the middle) fits between the engine block and the bottom end of the alternator adjustment bracket (at least, it did on my old 1999 1.8K Supersport).  The bolt that attaches this  bracket to the block can shear off if it's not tight enough. If this happens, you're likely to lose the bush completely.

From your photo, both pulleys and the belt are present.  So what exactly is "hanging out of the engine block"?

JV

If the retaining bolt is missing or sheared, there's no chance of anything entering the engine block.

Can you please confirm whether this is indeed the problem?  Looking at the front of the engine, is the alt adjustment bracket unattached at the bottom end?  If so, the bolt has either come loose and fallen out, or it's sheared off.  If the latter, there's likely to be a stub of thread remaining in the block.  Either way, you've probably lost the spacer bush.

JV

Do check that the bolt hasn't sheared. It's an M10x50. If your bolt is shorter than that, there'll very likely be a piece left in the threaded hole in the block. The spacer may be difficult to source now. Try Redline, or use M10 washers to pack out the space.

(Excellent photo above!)

JV