Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Repair, replace or simply weep

skmelrose

Hi

I have had a lot of very helpful advice on this forum as I worked my way through various issues on my 1992 HPC but, sadly, it is now sitting crumpled in the pound waiting on the insurance company.

I survived completely unhurt under circumstances that simply beggar belief as a Hyundai drove on top of me as I was stopped at an intersection. No one at the scene; police, ambulance, fire brigade or spectators could believe I was alive, let alone unhurt.

It will be written off as getting anyone to fix it here is not really feasible but is irreplaceable as such. If I can buy the wreck from the insurer it could be crated and sent over to the UK and rebuilt with a new Arch chassis. I have no idea how to go about this or who to consider and I have been told by a variety of experts here to simply move on as the price would be crazy.

The car was sat on and has the left front suspension twisted/pushed in and the steering column pushed back but the engine, gearbox, back axle, wheels etc all look OK.

I would attach pictures but am unsure if that is possible.

Any advice would be welcome.

I would inquire Arch about getting a replacement chassis, already skinned, and then do the math on using what's good from yours and replacing what else is needed.  The money might still not add up, compared to replacing but I would think it's worth the time to ask and consider.  Most importantly, glad you weren't hurt.

Looking at the photos unless the engine was running post collision there is a chance that it is also well damaged.  It is not unheard of to negotiate a cash settlement over several iterations and include the right to retain the car in the final settlement.  Bear in mind that the car will be tagged at a Cat S I suspect, this will influence future sale ability.

You might want to invest in a few lottery tickets as you clearly are having a run of very good luck!

Sorry to hear about your accident. There are a few things that may be possible with you being in Canada:

1. My Caterham in Alberta is insured as a classic car via an appraisal every 5 years, setting it’s value much higher than a regular car, but I do pay a premium for the high valuation. Ensure that you have an insurance appraiser who can properly value a Caterham in Canada. I know of one in Alberta who I have used, he may be able to do a phone consultation to give you some tips if you don’t have anyone local to you in NS. PM me if you want his contact details.

2. The 15 year rule that pretty well allows any car of that age or older to be imported into Canada and registered for road use may give you the ability to bring in a used car from the UK or elsewhere and meld it with your salvage parts to give you a clean title, a car close to what you had and do this reasonably economically.

3. If you haven’t already done so, have a word with Super 7 Cars in Chemainus on Vancouver Island to see if they can give you any tips as the official Caterham importer.

Good luck!

Many thanks to all who have replied, this is a great organisation. I am still waiting on the insurance company, surprise, surprise but,knowing unofficially that it will be written off, I  dither between going for the rebuild if I can buy the wreck or starting over. LHD caterhams are rarer than hen's teeth here and the insurance industry is getting difficult on RHD.

I am still interested to know if there are companies or individuals who would undertake the rebuild if I shipped the remains over in a crate.

My doctor did find a small bruise fading on my back and my write hand little finger knuckle was sore for a couple of days, no surprise as the wheel was bent around my hand but, truly, no ill effects. I am getting lots of suggestions from my family, especially daughters that its time for lawn bowling or shuffleboard.

Most likely a stupid question ... .. but if you are going for a "new chassis" could you not replace with a left hand drive one ?

I know that in UK you can convert LHD cars to RHD (many imports from US get this treatment - I know of 3 TR4's and 6's in Oswestry that came back from US and got this treatment).

You'd effectively be doing a similar thing .. .. .. just doing it the hard way !!

D

p.s. - I'd love to rebuild your car for you . .. but need to finish mine first, and even then I think that the day job would still pay more.

So pleased your OK , The great thing about hand made cars is that they are easier to rebuild. If they write it off do you have the first option to buy it.

Its Just a pain to not have the car mobile. but I would definitely rebuild it, 7's are about as simple as they get. 

• Area Representative
If the engine and transmission are undamaged, I would try rebuilding.

Getting Arch Motors/Caterham Cars to send you the parts is obviously a lot cheaper than sending the damaged car here then sending the repaired car back.

You also can exercise more control if it is done locally. What I can not judge is the suitability of your local garages.

I’d just get a LHD chassis shipped over and rebuild it on home turf.

First though you need a proper assessment of what is damaged / needs replacing so you can understand the costs - there is always more stuff needed than at first sight. If you are paying someone to rebuild it I dont think its viable.

Also, I think you need a fellow club member / volunteer in the UK who is willing to collate / crate up the parts you need and stick them in the chassis for shipping or send separately. 

Just a few thoughts - glad you’re safe and well!!

Ian