Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

widetrack upgrade

k.russell

I've got widetrack on mine and according to the manual - and this is how mine is set - put all four(4) washers on the REAR leg of the wishbone to chassis mount. This is the standard Caterham setting.

Phil

Edited by - prs on 12 Mar 2003 09:18:47

started the upgrade today, had a few unforseen problems, thought it might be worth a mention, all parts seemed to be in the kit, and had checked a few machined items fitted where they should, but fitting the bottom of my new avo shocks to the lower wishbone, there are machined alu spacers that fit over the 5/16 allen bolt and sleeve up to the bush in the shock, trouble is, there is a clearance, the sleeves have too bigger hole in them, i took out the sleeve from my old shock, good fit, so thought i had cracked the job, on the other side there was a clearance between the sleeve and the shock, measured the shock mounting, it was 0.520", all the sleeves i have are 0.500" about 0.5mm clearance in new money. i can machine up some new sleeves at work, but there seem to be quality control problems at both cc and avo. still these things are sent to try us. ps dont try to remove your front anti-roll bar with the fan in place, you'll break it, we all make mistakes. 😳

The first set of AVO dampers I had for the front of my car had the bushes seriously undersize, I had to ream them all out to fit the bolts at the top and the aluminium bushes at the bottem,

On the rear set I insisted that AVO made sure the bushes were reamed to the correct size.

My rear AVOs gave up at 2000 miles so they are now back at AVO for some repair (see my other posting)

Simon

Stuart, I can assure you the correct setup for Widetrack is four washers and if shopping trollies handled like my 1.6SS then I could easily do the weekend shop in 2 minutes flat, including the checkout!

Phil

prs, i was also told by cc tech dept (he had to go ask someone else) four washers between rear arm of wishbone and chassis, but i am wondering if this is post 96, as i said it is not physically possible without removing ali, is there anyone out there with a wide track pre 96 vx 🤔.where are your washers. 🤔

measured the castor angles today, with two washers behind the front arm,two washers in front of the rear arm of the lower wishbone, ie the centrel position. the castor measurement was 3 degrees 30'. am i correct in thinking that if i were to put more washers to the back then i would reduce the castor angle. the settings supplied with the kit suggest 5 degrees castor, surely to get this i would need to move the wishbone forward with the washers up front *confused*. not driven the car yet with these settings, will it feel ok 🤔, the camber is set at 1-20'neg and tracking 0-20' toe in.