Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Speedo not working

Weavie

When I recently rebuilt my1997 S3 Lotus 7 Caterham, I fitted a 5 speed gearbox and decided to go digital for the speedo, blanking off the speedo drive on the side of the box. I bought a speedo and sensor from Smiths and it has been a total failure to date. The sensor had to be so close to the prop shaft/diff bolts that it has been wiped off twice. The other fault, (when working in short periods), is that it seemed to develop an offset so above 60 mph, it would suddenly show 80 mph, and this offset would remain until the ignition was turned off and on again, not something I could do unless stopped.  I am almost considering taking the engine & gearbox out to refit a speedo drive. Does anyone have any advice on the kit to use and where to safely mount the sensor?

Many thanks

Steve

The plastic speedo drive can be taken out as it sits in an angle of about 45 degrees, BUT be care full as you place it back in the gearbox because it can be placed next to it's guide and then it's a real fiddle to get it back out of the gearbox, feeding a screwdiver or 3mm wire from the other side is good to pilot you trough the right angle.and on top of that all this can be done on axle stands. Also i did heat up a screwdriver and bent the tip 45 degrees to make it less difficult to pop off the top cover.