Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Battery replacement for PC680?

Stridey

OK, I need to replace an Odyssey PC680, but getting confused. Battery was inadvertently drained, from which I believe full recovery is impossible...

The pictures I see online show a red cased version and a black version at various retailers, prices ranging from circa £110 to a whopping £199 from my (and many here) supplier Tayna.

Ive also read that cranking spec changed in the last couple of years?

...so I’m worried about buying cheap, either a lower spec model than I want or different to what many owners have fitted and are happy with.

Ive seen mention on other forums a Varley ‘Red Top’ 25 that would fit in my cage, and various Enduroline of similar choices.

ive read all. JKs links and ‘current thoughts’ from blatchat on what’s needed but again I’m worried this is working with old info.

I do have a cutoff switch, trickle charger, car is used often, street driving, no track. Fettled 150bhp Crossflow. Luckily I live on top of a hill which is useful for jumpstarts!

I managed to drain mine by leaving the ignition on for two weeks and assumed it was completely dead.  Just for the hell of it I put it initially on a regular trickle charger to get it going and then an Accumate and just left it and it recovered and kept going for another three years. 

It's just finally died after eight years service *cloud9*

Worth a go

Paul

The problem with trying to recharge a completely flat battery is that modern chargers need some residual voltage in the dead battery to start to work. Its worth connecting a good battery to it (positive to positive, negative to negative) and then putting a charger on. Not done it myself but it often works (apparently....)

Battery was inadvertently drained, from which I believe full recovery is impossible...

I've had car batteries that I couldn't wake up with a smart conditioning charger such as your CTEK but which later returned to active service. In order of preference I'd try:

1. A big boy's charger/ jump pack at a garage or car electrician's.
  2. A traditional dumb charger overnight.
  3. Jumping it in parallel with a good battery and leaving it connected to a running alternator.

I'm a bit uncomfortable about ECR's method but I'm not sure why, especially as I've just recommended 3!

Jonathan

The internal impedance of a car battery is extremely low so therefore it could potentially deliver a massive current into the flat battery as there is nothing to limit it. I too would nervous about simply connecting batteries in parallel without any protection.

Perhaps I should have made it clearer, after a deep drain I managed jump start the car, been on a good 1hr long drive, started fine then back home another hour. I have a voltmeter so I know alte4nator is working.

its just if I leave it two days it is not starting well, if at all. A quick charge is enough to get started.

i just don’t feel it is retaining a good charge, if that makes sense.

I’d think not

edit, any parasitic drain? Otherwise my current related experience is here trying to identify dud from revoverable batteries. If no parasitic loss yours sounds at the end of life, ok for local use, not for touring; the difference being convenient access to charging facilities, because it will not hold Charge. Hills are good :-)

I use a PC625 which I replaced last year, slightly different specs but do the same job I'm sure.

I've found the PC680 on Demon Tweeks for £102 (not sure if delivery is free, didn't check).

If you scroll down though, there are all the specs of all the versions.

Compare the Extreme 25 (PC680) to your one you have in your car now (dimensions and other noted specs on the battery).

If they're the same or similar, I'd suggest you'd be good to go.

I wouldn't worry about packaging too much, as these can change over time and some vendors my use an old image of the old packaging but what turns up may be of the latest design.

https://www.demon-tweeks.com/uk/odyssey-extreme-racing-25-battery-pc680-odypc680/

Hope that helps.

Thanks rhauri, is actually just ordered the Odessy PC680 through Demontweeks as I know they are a reliable supplier (and on the discount list of the club).

i had the battery on trickle since Sunday but on attempted startup this morning it was showing 11.5v and no dice when starting. Decided to replace like for like but was tempted with the Varly Red Top, I’ll maybe try that next time.

Im lucky that I have a use for nearly dead batteries so it’s not totally wasted money.

Will report back. Hopefully in a few years! 

Thanks Paul, I was thinking of calling Tayna but needed to do an order early today as I thought I’d be too busy later.

I thought the same on Taynas price, but their reputation was so good I was more worried about the quality of other suppliers, but feel confident with Demon Tweeks.

I can't help feeling it's a typo but we'll have to see.

Like you I get a bit concerned about the authenticity of some eBay vendors but DT should be absolutely fine.

I wouldn't have there was much money to be made out of hooky AGM batteries but then people forge £1 coins, so who knows!

I'll post if I get a reply from Tayna.

Paul