Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Zetec altenator options. Poly vee belts

John Gaines

I have my focus zetec in place and I am looking to fit the crossflow altenator under the jenvey throttle bodies. I have made up a bracket to hold the alternator which pivots from the top. Everything is very "close" in terms of the steering colum etc. I have the chance of an altenator from a diahatsu charrade but I have not seen the shape or size of one and will have to purchase it over the telephone. I have seen past threads regarding the use of theese and would welcome any comments regarding their suitability, or other options.

Regarding the poly vee belts, as I am obviously not using the power steering pump so is it ok to machine off the last two vees on the alternator and jockey wheel and use a narrow poly vee belt ? I have a live axle chassis and the belt will run very close to the the front chassis crossmembers.

Last one, does anyone have the number of a company that supplies poly vee belts?

Many thanks John.

Hi,

Cannot be much help but when I got my zetec engine back from AMMO, which is now fitted with one of his smaller carankshaft pulleys the previous belt was too long, so went to local factors who supplied me with a couple of belts which resulted in one being the correct length (not a lot of room with alternator under carbs). They seem be sized in increments of 1cm

Tony

When I installed my Zetec, I wrapped a tape around the belt route to give me a length, then picked up 3 belts from Halfords which were closest, decided on which was the best fit then returned the other 2 for credit.

A good idea to get a spare once you have decided on the correct one or at the very least note which car it normally fits.

Brent

7 not now in so many bits 😬