Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tyresome...

JetSepter

Yes, yet more about tyres.  Thought I would share with anyone who wants to know, that Yoko AD09Rs, which only come in 50 rather than the CR500's 45 profile, are just that smidge too big to fit clear of the front cycle wings and stays that Caterham use for CR500 195/45/15s. (At least those on my 2011 car.) I am hoping to get my local garage to weld in some short extensions to the four stay tubes, though I guess there will also have to be a bit of realigning to match everything up. Hopefully the cost of this little job will not eat up too much of the saving the Yokos represented over a set of Avon ZZSs.

Indeed. That was the realignment I was referring to. The wings are bonded. Rather than unbond them, I am expecting to bend the forward (more upright) stay (once cut and with its extension) to match up with the new position of the part of the stay remaining attached to the wing. There may be pictures in my blog if I get it right.

• Leadership Team

You might struggle to have welding done on the stays without removing the wings and re-bonding later. Better to remove them and have the welding done in the area that is hidden by the wings when you refit later.

Stu.

• 2 weeks later...
The deed is did. Front stays have been extended with some inserts and sleeves, and their geometry changed slightly through some rewelding. You can just about discern one of the joins, but you'd be hard put to it to spot the rest. An excellent job by Darcy Watts at Perranwell Classic Cars. Oh, and the Yokos now fit neatly under the cycle wings. I'll try and pop up some photos on my blog in the next few days. Meanwhile, I need to take advantage of the new tyres and the sunshine we have today down yer in deepest Cornwall.