Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Tacho Indicator Diodes - Where Are They (K Series era)?

revilla

My car is all prepped for the Fish & Chip run tomorrow so I don't really want to start taking it to pieces for a look tonight, so if anyone knows the answer to this off the top of their head I would be most grateful:

The K Series main vehicle loom wiring diagram shows the tachometer wired like this:

TachoDiagram.png.0bfa4fe1332a0c6101bdd2e69901189a.png

So 9 wires connected to the tacho, two of them (GR and GW) connected to the left and right indicators. However in the notes on the right of the same diagram it shows the following detail for the tachometer connector:

TachoPlug.png.1b698168b824b530178132d581299ae5.png

So only an 8 pin connector, and the notes suggest that both GW and GR are connected to the same pin 3. It helpfully just says "diode". Obviously blocking diodes are needed here as if you just connected these both directly to the one pin, you would be shorting the left and right indicator circuits together and they would all flash together like hazards all the time.

That all makes sense, but the main diagram doesn't show any diodes. I had previously assumed they were internal to the tacho, but if there's only one external for the two of them, they can't be, they must be outside the tacho somewhere. 

Does anybody know: 

• Are they just free floating in the loom somewhere? 
  • Are they just up somewhere right behind the tacho with just the one common wire going into the tacho?

Thanks,

Andrew

Does anybody know: 

Are they just free floating in the loom somewhere? 

Are they just up somewhere right behind the tacho with just the one common wire going into the tacho?

Yes and yes. If I remember correctly they were just in some heat shrink next to the tacho (or the indicator lamp if it was not in the tacho).

I still have to strip that main loom out of a car for you, but an engine came in the way for the Crazylight.

Soon to be in the past though.