Click here if you are having website access problems ×

liquid coolant temperature probe for manometer, not the ecu

saulet

Hi,
I’m from the french branch.
I had to change the water temp sender on my Rover. The new one that looks and fits the same seems to send different info as the temp on the gauge is slightly higher. From normal to scary ...
I was told the old senders (ref 6811-03) were not available anymore.
Do you have the same issue in UK? Can you still get the « old » sender or do you have a solution to fix the values displayed on the gauge?
Thanks for your help!

Bienvenue.

I agree with Ian: talk to Redline.

The new one that looks and fits the same seems to send different info as the temp on the gauge is slightly higher.

Yes, it's possible that the resistance range of the sender doesn't match that of the instrument. There are a few common ranges but they're not standardised. 

We can probably work out here what you've got. Please could you add a photo of the original sender and your gauge, and tell us the year of the engine and which ECU you have. There's a current discussion of accuracy of gauges here.

Jonathan

If you use an android phone, you need to click on the three dots in the top right corner of the screen then select "desktop site". Above the text box you will now see an icon with a horizontal line and an arrow above it. Click on that and add your photo.

My caterham is a K serie buit in 2002. The temp gauge is the original one and the sender was changed. Since that, reading of the temp has changed : from cold to 90 degres, it takes 5 minutes and then it raises to be stable batween 95 and 100. Hot days and intensive use brings higher values which, if they were true, would indicate a serious cooling problem. Hopefully, with an older sender I was able to find, all is back to normal. The problem is that others have the same issu and we can’t find the proper sender.

The new sender for the Rover looks like your first photo, with a circular nail head, but the standard connector still fits ... just at 90 degrees to the axis. It works ok on my 2002 Rover engine. Maybe the one you have is with a different output for the gauge of the Ford Sigma engine ? Talk to Chris at Redline.

The new sender for the Rover looks like your first photo, with a circular nail head, but the standard connector still fits

That was certainly true for a while but ones I've ordered recently seem to have switched back to the original design.