Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K I.4 Starter motor makes whining noise

Hi,

I’ve got a 1.4 K series. Every now and then regardless of the engine being cold or hot the starter motor

plays up.  When I press the start button, it just makes a whining noise.

If I turn the ignition switched off get out and and rock the Caterham back and forth in gear.

Then then get back in press the starter button with the ignition on, the engine will start normally.   

It has got a lightened flywheel fitted and covered about 4K miles from new.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Regards

Jon

When I press the start button, it just makes a whining noise.

If I turn the ignition switched off get out and and rock the Caterham back and forth in gear.

Then then get back in press the starter button with the ignition on, the engine will start normally.   

I once had a Morris Minor with a bent starter motor shaft. It behaved just like that. I kept a spanner in the glove box to turn it a bit.

I'd imagine that other faults in the Bendix drive or the engagement with the flywheel could do the same. 

So start with visible inspection of the starter motor and the teeth on the flywheel all the way round.

I'd also check the battery voltage at rest, minimum during cranking when it does start, and at 3,000 rpm.

And all of the relevant wires and connections including the earths.

Jonathan

Do you know what kind of starter you have? If not can you post up a photograph? Some of the early ones used direct drive starters with Bendix gear but most K Series as standard had a geared Magneton starter which was if the pre-engaged type, meaning that the solenoid physically engages the gear before it makes the contact which turns on the motor and so if the gear doesn't engage, the motor can't power up. A lot of them have then had these replaced I've the years with WOSP, Bride etc. The symptoms you describe would probably indicate different things in the different kinds of starter. To be honest whatever the fault, the most likely best remedy would be to have the starter motor overhauled by a local motor factor or auto electrician.