Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K series coolant

CageyH

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the link. It may be useful for all of us who use G30 with our heaters!

I have just unearthed some Comma Xstream Green concentrate in my garage. This is what Caterham recommended, before selling the Comma G30. As it has been opened, I am not sure it will still be ok to use.

I asked about the Prestone OAT, and this is the response I got.

Good afternoon Kevin, thanks for getting back in touch. Prestone Coolant is indeed an organic acid (OAT) coolant - the corrosion inhibition package means the coolant is suitable for the applications you mention. The product has been rigorously tested by DEKRA (the competent authority); this is why we guarantee the product in terms of corrosion protection for 150,000 miles or 10 years, whichever is sooner.

It may be useful for all of us who use G30 with our heaters!

Comma G30 is an OAT coolant and hence not suitable for yellow metals.

The advantages of Comma G30 over other options discussed above are:

1. It's recommended by the manufacturer/supplier of the engine and car.
  2. It's very widely used in Sevens with Ks.
  3. Information from vendors suggests it is more suitable for use with brass, copper, lead etc than VAG G13: Wolflubes, Champion (both cited above).

Jonathan

So I googled and first hit is wolflubes, this seems hopeful "

The G13 has a purple/violet colour and has the same exceptional cooling and antifreeze performance as G12++. The main difference: it is manufactured using glycerin instead of glycol. Glycerin is much less harmful to the environment than glycol. One is a bi-product of biodiesel production, the other is produced from mineral oil. 

It is estimated that the manufacturing of G13 produces 11 % lower CO2 emissions than antifreeze with glycol."

I have a heater too; where should one be looking to observe my old G12 is better?

I s/elected G12 years ago after a similar thread on here because I liked the "package" and want the same gloop in all my cars. Readily admit I accepted the G13 evolution without any thought at all.

Anthony - in a  rush, more attention later. 

On the second link, it looks like Comma G48 would be best. It is better than the G30 (Which is VW G12+) for Brass radiators.

However, based on the Dekra testing I think the Prestone will be good, as it probably has a better inhibitor package.

I should add that the coolant I have in at the moment is a Kennol G13, which may not be a true G13, as it meets the specs for the older G12 as well. It also meets G11 as well, so I am not sure what it is.

The blurb says:

KENNOL TYPE G13 -30°C is a coolant especially formulated and developed for VAG (Volkswagen-Audi-Seat-Skoda). It is a bittered inhibited Mono Ethylene Glycol based product with organic molecules and silicates according to specifications VW TL-774 J (G13). Ready to use for cast iron and aluminum cooling systems. Protects against overheating in summer and freezing in winter.
Recommended for vehicles EURO VI.

So it is Ethylene Glycol based so it is not a true G13.

Last week I had (most of) the coolant out of my system during cam belt change and sieved it through coffee filters before putting it back in, there was no carp in it apart from the bits collected when removing it, which is why I filtered it ( which takes ages using coffee filters).

It may be a mix of G12 and G13, not very sure about that just now. Have to have a think. It doesn't say on the tin, "do not mix with G12" - I'd better double check that.

As G30 is OAT based, you should not use it when the G48 is available if you have yellow metals in the cooling system, IMHO, having read up about it now.

The G30 will lead to corrosion on brass and copper (over what time scale I don’t know) where the G48 is fine for brass, copper and aluminium etc. That much is known.

The other links show the G30 type coolant not working well with aluminium radiators. Posts elsewhere suggests that Radtec had issues with the Pink type OAT coolant in their rads.

I have just used the Comma product finder. As Caterham are not listed, I used a Mk1 Elise, and a Mk1 Freelander, both of which have a 1.8 K series engine, and Comma recommended the X48 both times.

Where does the recommendation of the G30 coolant come from?

Anymore info on Radtec problems with OAT pink, as that’s what I am running?

The decision does get harder if you have a Radtec aluminium radiator on a K. There's a handful of reports that start with a leak and end with "We've only seen it with pink coolant" and "Darren at Radtec says use blue coolant".

https://www.google.com/search?q=site:lotus7.club+radtec+leak
https://www.google.com/search?q=radtec+pink+coolant

I'm not convinced by the implied causation.

But I wouldn't expect problems with Comma G48 if you decided not to use Comma G30.

Jonathan

JK, I have decided to try the Prestone.

It is supposed to be a very good quality coolant.

The G48 has a three year life and is more expensive locally than the Prestone. The prestone works with yellow metals and has been tested by Dekra to approve the manufacturers claims. That is good enough for me.