Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rear suspension bolts

TomB

I've removed the M10 hex bolts in Grade 10.9 from my de-dion ear to tube points.  Ideally Id like to replace like with like, but Im having trouble finding the correct length in grade 10.9 with the zinc plating - Grade 8.8 is widely available however.  What specification bolts should be used here?  

And on teh subject of bolts, does anyione know what botls are used to attach the rear brake calliper to the DD ear?  I cant see them on the bolt list Ive got.  

New manual is nice and clear on this 

M10 x 65 Grade 10.9 Rear hub through ear to front DeDion

M10 x 55 Grade 10.9 Front hub through ear and Caliper Carrier Bolt

M10 x 40 Grade 10.9 Through rear of ear into threaded Dedion holes 

Think I would stick to grade 10.9, my local fastener place gets them with a couple of days lead time.   Not sure how close to tolerance they are, but don't fancy my rear wheel falling off. 

CC have confirmed they should be 10.9, but they only sell them as part of the fastener pack, not separately.  Redline, Spalding Fasteners and a couple others I've tried can't do one of the variables on length, grade or head.  My main options seem to be clean and reuse the old 10.9, or fit caphead 12.9 grade in the right length.  The old bolts visually look OK.   

Ive ordered 12.9 capheads to replace the old 10.9 hex bolts in the end.  I probably could have reused them, but all the other signficant nuts and bolts are being replaced, so in for a penny in for pound.....

Beware that altough higher tensile strength 12.9 bolts are also more brittle than 10.9

According to my local bolt pusher you should never use a plated 12.9 bolt for anything serious as the plating will make it even more brittle.

If you can find the correct grade of bolt but extra long, it is easy to cut them to length, and as long as you put some copperslip on the ends corroding isn't really a problem.

Duncan

A 12.9 would normally be used if you needed a higher torque/clamping force but you’ll only need to use the CC figure which will mean they’re not close to being stressed. 

It won’t necessarily eliminate embrittlement cracking though, but if you make sure you use a reputable brand you should be OK.