Click here if you are having website access problems ×

CAT 1 alarm or tracker

Tony Leigh

Just trying to sort out my 420R insurance and so far MSM look to be best value but they require a CAT1 alarm or tracker to be fitted. My car will be new with the standard immobiliser and a battery master cutoff switch, so presume any alarm/tracker will be self-powered. My kit arrives tomorrow so have a bit of time to sort but what do others use/recommend?

Tracker Retrieve battery powered, I took the 5 year subscription.  It was supposed to be fitted at Caterham factory after the build but Caterham said they no longer organise the installation so I had to organise it myself, it didn't take long, a technician called and fitted it the following week.

https://www.tracker.co.uk/products/retrieve-battery-powered

Yes, it's a bit of a joke.  I  am insured with REIS and each year I would write to them to qualify their T&C which insisted that when I left the car all doors and windows would be locked and secure.  Given the cost of a Tracker plus subscription it may be worth seeking another quote, I don't think Caterham Insurance request a tracker.  You would think that there should be some sort of small tracker device out there that you could fit and d/l an app. on to your smart phone to track it ... but it probably wouldn't be an "approved" security device.

Amusingly, Aston Martin track cars by satellite 24/7 via Vodaphone, JLR install a device that you track via your smart phone and Tracker Retrieve ... well if you suddenly discover that your 7 has disappeared ... you phone Tracker to tell them and they switch their device on and hopefully the battery isn't flat and they can locate it. *biggrin*