Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Starting car after winter storage

BeingOriginal

My Duratec car has been Sat up in the garage since October, I wanted to check if there’s anything else I should be considering before starting please?

• I’ll get some new fuel (should I drain anything remaining?)
  • Battery has has been on a conditioner
  • Car has new oil and coolant a month before storage, I’ll put a new set of plugs in.

Looking forward to getting out in it again.

kind regards

Dan

Check all levels.

Does your battery let you check the fluid level and top it up if needed?

Check tyre pressures.

There was a recent discussion where some favoured turning the engine over with the plugs out and others just setting off.

Test the brakes before you need them.

Check the battery will restart the engine when it's been off the charger for a bit. (I'd record the voltage at rest, minimum during cranking and at 3,000 rpm.)

Jonathan

PS: Service schedule.

It's a personal opinion, I don't have a lot of experience, and many Members disagree, but I don't think that modern commercial petrol in typical storage conditions deteriorates much over that sort of period.

Jonathan

PS: It would be great if someone experiencing problems would refill with the old suspect petrol after the engine has been started to see if the problem recurs. See K clicks! :-)

I wouldn't worry about cranking with the plugs out unless they are due to be changed. I do crank over after the winter.

I've not experienced issues with the fuel, I usually leave little in the tank so I fill to the brim after I've started it up.

Jim, switch the pump off or pull the fuel pump fuse, then crank. 

Just an anecdote, years ago, after a winter layoff, I pulled the plugs out, and cranked the engine over, to be met by a column of water being pushed out two of the cylinders. Turns out head bolts were bottoming allowing water to enter the bores.  Makes you wonder what would have happened if I hadn't took the plugs out .

I've started mine in similar conditions (i.e. just neglected for 6 months) every year for the last fifteen years or so; I just crank it and see if she starts. Sometimes yes, usually tries, but can't, so I clean the plugs and off she goes in spite of the old petrol which if I recall goes "off" after three weeks. Sometimes I install new plugs, but that's really more of a "wakey wakey" present for the season.

I don't condition the battery, I do disconnect it. Sometimes it has started the car, usually not and a recharge has been required. This year I am replacing it as I know the old one is dead as the dodo, so new empty battery (I buy them that way to keep as long as I like)  now filled with acid and ready to rock. Always amazes me how that chemical reaction produces power and so much of it. 

edit: one thing I did notice in Britain was that Spring starting was hindered (to put it mildly) by the humidity of the Winter conditions and dampness in any connections or electronics is never going to be good, so I posit perhaps sitting her in the sun for a few hours to dry out any condensation from unwanted places. 

anthony

All I've ever done with cycle the key a few times so the pump runs until it cuts out, to make sure there's fuel and pressure, and then start it.  New or old petrol, it usually just starts and ticks over . . .

Same with most other cars I have - some might sit years.  Ford CVH in a Scimitar SS1 - possibly 6 years . . . tipped some more fuel in the tank, checked the coolant was still coolant coloured, splashed some fuel down the carb, put a battery in and turned the key . . . you have to hand it to Ford . . . it just started and ticked over . . . used that night in a club trial.  Ran fautlessly.

Dan, my thoughts.

I usually turn the engine over by hand two complete revolutions (spanner on crankshaft nut) just to check that all is free.

With fuel, if it has only been in for the winter it should be fine, although I do try to leave mine low and top it up with fresh first time I use it. 

Turn the key and enjoy!!

Nick

Started the crossflow for the first time since July. Drained and changed the oil, removed the plugs and turned the engine over on the starter to get some oil around. Refitted the plugs reconnected the coil and tried to fire it up. No interest in starting despite fuel pump working, I thought here we go and then realised I hadn't put the plug leads back on. Officially old git material now. 

Baz