Click here if you are having website access problems ×

1988 Super Seven Ignition switch issue

auyt

I would like to know what the origins of the ignition switch assembly for an 88 Super Seven?

A friend who isn’t on the forum (just slack really) came to visit the other day for a blat, and the power from the switch to the ignition open circuited on the way here, luckily  next to a coffee shop.. got have some luck.

The local road side assistance guys diagnosed it as the ignition switch, jury rigged it to the fuel pump relay to get him home. 

I had a quick look I recon they can be dismantled and cleaned but he wants to replace it, any idea of its origin, only complication it’s a Japanese delivered car dought that makes a difference.

I have totally removed the switch from my 1990 car, the plastic on the key is the same colour ( smurf blue) as that used on Rootes Group cars, Hillmans, Sunbeams of that era.

I would put a FIA big red key on and start button but thats just me.

From the pictures sent and taken the assembly appears to be a TR6 unit.

The Black plastic unit zip tied underneath is a proximity switch for the immobilizer

Ignitionswitchcaterham788.thumb.jpg.951dc0168417fa89db92b391f6a9cf49.jpg

IMG_0656.thumb.jpg.790ec7493d39a6abe4bc441b37b75ce4.jpg

If your wondering why there is a LOTUS badge on the keys, in the 80s CATERHAM wasn't known to the Australian registration authorities ( as an added complication each state has different regs )