Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Sidelight bulb holder and bulbs

Shaun_E

• Support Team

The sidelights on my 7 stopped working and on investigation, I've found the bulb holders severely corroded and one bulb blown. I thought this would be an easy replacement but it's not obvious what size the bulb holders are and Caterham don't sell them nor do SVC (who supplied the headlights). Polevolt have something that looks about right but is a different design.

Image_12019-05-01_08-57-25.thumb.jpeg.8f665d094a33aef1f1ba7c28ce6183c8.jpeg

So what is the bulb holder size and where canI get one from?

I think it's a BA9S. The bulb is marked 12V 4W so that should be easy enough to source but I need to make sure I get the correct size - it's about 9mm diameter which would tie up with the BA9S fitting.

• Support Team

Thanks for looking everyone. It seems the bayonet fitting bulb holders with spade connectors are hardly used these days. I popped down to Halfords and found some bulb holders that take the newer capless bulbs so I'll convert to those. 

Thanks for the offers Stephen and Paul but the cost of postage is more than the value of the parts (to the point where I couldn't get to Polevolt's minimum order value!!).

Cheers,

Shaun

• Support Team

That ebay one is the one but I've made the decision to convert now - might be a bit more robust solution as well. Both bulb holders were badly corroded and the bulbs loose in them which is porbably why they failed.

• Support Team

The capless holder from Halfords has done the trick. It wedges in better than the old Lucas one and has the advantage that it shouldn't corrode like the old one. It requires a Junior Power Timer connector (which is a bit OTT) but I used two slim spade connectors instead and that has worked well.

The ones from Polevolt would have been an easier swap as they have 6.3 mm spade connectors but they take the standard bayonet bulbs which would still have potential corrosion issues.

Thanks to everyone who offered spares *thumb_up* but I'm happy with the solution and it will get me through the MOT.

• Support Team

The capless holder from Halfords has done the trick. It wedges in better than the old Lucas one and has the advantage that it shouldn't corrode like the old one. It requires a Junior Power Timer connector (which is a bit OTT) but I used two slim spade connectors instead and that has worked well.

The ones from Polevolt would have been an easier swap as they have 6.3 mm spade connectors but they take the standard bayonet bulbs which would still have potential corrosion issues.

Thanks to everyone who offered spares *thumb_up* but I'm happy with the solution and it will get me through the MOT.