Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Brake Lights

Gary G

Both have stopped working on my SL. Haven't checked the fuse yet, but I suspect the brake light switch as this failed on my previous 7.

Does the SL use a pressure switch mounted close to the brake fluid reservoir? If so, how easy it it to take of and connect the new one without losing lots of brake fluid?

Any recommendations?

C7 GAR

Gary, could well be a fuse, check that first. ISTR that the pressure switch is mechanical, i.e. nothing to do with brake fluid but acting on the pedal box end of the brake pedal.I think mine needs adjusting too as I'm pretty sure my brake lights are on alll the time - legacy of my moving the pedals relative to the fixed position of my new tillets (BTW I can recommend tillets, you ought to get some yourself)....If you like, bring the car over Saturday and we'll have a play - you'll also be able to see my tillets and bring over that aeroscreen that Darren should have dropped off to you tonight...

Gary, as far as I know your pedal box is the same as mine, in which case you should have a mechanical plastic switch which you can adjust by loosening the nuts that hold it in place.

I would take Marks advice though and check the fuse first.

Dont forget to turn the ignition on before you check the brake lights because they dont work otherwise (guess what I did...) 😳 😳

Nick

P8MRA - Red and Black 1.6K supersport, back on the road at last. See pictures of it being rebuilt here

Gary, I had the same problem with the loss of both break lights. The problem was the mechanical switch found in the pedal box. All I did was take the switch off the car, take it apart (be careful as there is a small spring inside that will fly out), give it a good spray of WD40, clean the contacts and put it back together. Worked a treat and no problems since.

Kipper

Fun is not a straight line.

Thanks for all your replies. I'll definitely check the fuse first, but I'm glad the switch is mechanical in anycase since this is much easier than replacing the pressure switch.

Presumably I can access the switch by taking the pedal box cover off?

C7 GAR

al

quite the reverse, i only found out because bill couldn't believe i wasn't braking for the pits chicane @ bruntingthorpe 😬

i wasn't (just a lift in 4th) but i'm sure he wasn't convinced when the lights turned out not to be working *mad*

jerry

Thanks for all your help. I fixed the problem today.

The contacts inside the switch were dirty. I simply cleaned them up and hey presto.

Just for info:

On my 1999 SL, the brake-light fuse is the one at the top (they're all marked anyway). This fuse is also for the reverse light, so I just put it in reverse and found that it was okay and therefore fuse okay.

C7 GAR