Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K series low oil pressure - mechanical oil pressure gauge

Nick Bassett

The oil pressure relief valve could be stuck open or have a bit of debris on the seat. Or, as in the case on a friends car, have been assembled upside down from new !! It is a big plug at the front end of the offside side of the block. Easy to undo.

• Leadership Team

In the photo it's the gold coloured part on the right, it'll be below your dry sump scavenge pump. The gold cap is removed with a hex key and below it will be a long spring and a bullet shaped plunger, you might need a magnet to pull out the plunger. The spring pressure determines the maximum oil pressure attainable above which oil is not pumped, hence the reason why as your revs increase the pressure will hit a ceiling and not increase any more. Clean the plunger and refit.

Stu.

K-Seriesoilpump.jpg.487a47e971dc4715c3dfc22356c9b721.jpg

• Area Representative

Ok thanks both.

I’ve found an old post written by Oily and it would appear it’s not that easy to remove with the gold ds scavenge pump in place... in fact it involves quite a bit of work including removing the scavenge pump again... I’ll take a look but I must just try Revilla’s gauge first!

• Area Representative

Thanks both.

Found an old post on PH where DVA writes about how difficult it is to remove this when the gold ds pump and cradle are in place... it sounds really involved so I might just wait to try Revilla’s spare gauge first!

• 1 month later...
  • Area Representative

Quick update on this... in the end I had a new oil pump fitted and an oil/filter change and I’m now seeing what I think is the best oil pressure ever! Not sure what the cause was, but engine running smoothly so hopefully I have got away with it... time will tell I guess.

Do oil pumps fail slowly or are they like an on/off switch? I suppose they must have a hard life in a Caterham, particularly a version that revs to 8k (but not all the time!)

Anyway thanks to everyone that provided advice and especially Revilla who really went out of his way to help out... things like that really make this club so special.