Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Engine Dimensions

gareth

According to some drawings I have, the Duratec is 493 mm from front of pulley to bellhousing split line, 638 mm from bottom of stock sump to top of oil filler cap and approx 338 mm wide without all the ancillary stock items, like inlet and exhaust manifold, that you throw away. You should be able to get rid of about 50 mm from the bottom of the engine by fitting a shallow or dry sump.

I should be getting one of these engines today. I will weigh it and report back.

AMMO

According to PTP an 1800 K with plastic inlet manifold is 654mm from front edge of the front pulley to the end of the throttle. 600mm from the outer edge of the inlet manifold to the outer of the alternator and 615mm tall but a bit would come off that for the shallow sump. The weight is 104kg.

Packaging is important aswell as weight, this is what the F1 engines try to do, smaller more compact engines.

My interest is really what will be the next generation of engine tuning post K series.

Ford pinto -> Vauxhall XE -> Rover K -> ??????

I think there the Ford Duratec is one branch option ....

and I am working on another...

I think BEC is a fad and will fade due to car engines getting smaller, BEC blowing up regularly etc

So within a year the K series will be dead due to the cost of tuning compared to stock engines but what will be king .....

Gareth

Edited by - gareth on 11 Mar 2003 17:57:58

The new(ish) Honda FWD engines are gaining popularity. The K20A engine (197PS in Civic Type R / 217BHP in Integra). I think they now spin in the correct direction for a RWD application. I've seen them installed in Elises for the US Market and Ariel are changing over to them for the Atom. A few exhaust and airbox tweeks are claimed to get them up to 240BHP. The bore and stroke are 86mm square so its not as big a lump as the F20 (S2000) lump. Should be easier to find than the F20 engine too. Its aparently cheaper £/BHP than the K series ( as overheard at the Autosport show from Simon Saunders, MD of Ariel). I presume that means the std civic 197BHP motor is cheaper than a VHPD which is no surprise as one is mass produced.

BC