Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Electric water pump installation - K series

CageyH

I am interested in fitting an electric water pump to my car to help avoid the heat soak after shutdown. I find that when I get back from a blat, and have driven my car into the garage that the cooling fan is running. I am reluctant to turn the engine off until the fan stops.

An electric fan with controller will take care of this problem, but I want to retain the mechanical fan.

How does the electric fan increase the flow rate to the figures given by Davies Craig when a stalled mechanical pump is in the circuit?

I assume for my needs that the smallest model (EP80) is sufficient for my needs. I need to work out where I have space to fit it, as it should go in the bottom hose, between the original thermostat location and my PRRT.

• Area Representative
I would agree that an electric pump should only supplement and no replace your collant pump.

The issue, as I understand it, is uneven cooling and the existence of hot-spots within the engine. By pumping the coolant around the block, cooling will be much more even.

An electric fan with controller will take care of this problem, but I want to retain the mechanical fan. How does the electric fan increase the flow rate to the figures given by Davies Craig when a stalled mechanical pump is in the circuit?

Do you mean "pump" rather than "fan" in this?

Jonathan

I've just updated the thread JK referred to with an image of the eninge on the workbench as I am in the grage at the moment. Here it is as well

vandpumpe(Large)_0.thumb.jpg.4d1b90563c9cbbb46123ff3955d322cf.jpg

I have a PRRT and no heater. The original water pump is still there, the electric pump is controlled by a thermal switch - with a boss brazed into the water rail. Kicks in at 80 out at 75. Works a treat.

You can just replace the J-shaped hose with two straight pieces and place the pump on the chassis just in front of the pedal box/footwell

Shouldn't be hard; only obstructive item is the steering column