Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Torque Wrench

CharlieC

Competing for the first time in the Speed Championship this year, I have been advised to buy a torque wrench to check the tightness of wheel nuts. 

Could someone please advise on a good choice/type to go for? Naturally, Amazon has thousands and I am not sure what is needed and what is not. I will be driving to events so I need one that is as small and light as possible.

Many thanks, in advance.

• Support Team

I have 2 Halfords "Advanced" and they have done the job for me over the years including a rebuilt of the car a few years back. I normally take the bigger one with me as it's a 1/2 drive whereas my smaller one is 3/8". Looking at the Halfords website, they've got 4 different models now and the "100" looks like it will cover everything on a Caterham bar the hub nuts so I'd got for that one - it's also a 1/2" drive which means you won't need an adaptor for doing wheel nuts. Lifetime guarantee and 10% off with the club discount.

• Area Representative

Charlie,

Whilst having your own torque wrench would be useful if you don't have one, I'd be less concerned about having your own being a prerequisite of your competition tool kit. You'll find there will normally be plenty of folks around you with a boot full of tools and other bits n bobs, and offer help and assistance, whether you want it or not....

Halfords Advanced 100 is 20 to 100 Nm.

For the build I bought a Sealey 20 to 140 Nm, also ½". For trackdays I found it convenient to buy an additional socket for the wheel nuts which lives on it all the time.

You'll find there will normally be plenty of folks around you with a boot full of tools and other bits n bobs, and offer help and assistance, whether you want it or not....

:-)

Jonathan

PS: There are two traditional pieces of advice: take the load off the spring when it's not being used and have the wrench calibrated annually. In order: most of us probably do but have no idea if it's really needed, and "I'm sure that can wait till next year".

I thought I had posted a response yesterday but it doesn't seem to show up on the thread. Sorry for the delay in getting back to you on this.

Anyway, huge thanks all for your comments, advice and helpful suggestions. I will go along to Goodwood on Saturday and borrow both ideas and tools to inform my subsequent purchase.

Can someone tell me how I redeem my 10% discount at Halfords - is it as simple as showing my club membership card?