Click here if you are having website access problems ×

- 7 for everyday use

Alex Gurr

I am looking for a Caterham 7 to replace my BMW with as my everyday car. I was contemplating an Elise until I test drove a 7 roadsport the other day, wow what a car!

I am looking for a 1.6 or 1.8 RoadSport or SuperSport with low milage. I have up to £15,000 to spend and would like one wth cycle wings, 13 inch wheels and as many carbon bits as possible. A heater, leather seats and weather gear are also essential given it will be used almost every day. The only other requirement is that it must be a subtle colour, so sorry, no yellow!

Does anybody out there have any experience of using a 7 on a daily basis? Can you tell me, am I barking mad (I am 6'2" by the way)?

Also, where is the best place to get cheap insurance (I am 23 with a full no claims bonus and no points)?

"Barking Mad" - yes, welcome to the pack, we're all a bit like that here, some more than others I think *biggrin*

I've got a hankering for something with an R in front of the model designation, so my brand new, as yet unregistered 1600 K, 5 speed dedion, with leather "S" seats, full weather equipment [but no heater, though one could easily be fitted] could be available. Colour is a very subtle black plastic, bonnet and scuttle, with silver stripe up it, with polished ali sides and back panel, with a 7 grill. It has a 22% quick rack, but the wheels are 14". Pricewise, I'm looking for about £14,500 [ono of course]

As you are in Cheltenham I'm only an hour down the motorway from you [if you cruise at 85 *eek*

Do let me know if you are interested, but bear in mind that it will probably be another 4-6 weeks before it's MoT'd and SVA'd and ready for the road. Come for a look and a chat anyway if you've got the time.

Give me a ring on 01823 421748 if it tickles your fancy.

Paul J.

Back in the fold with my new Black/Ali. 1600K Seven reg'n A7 YEP, looking good for spring take off!

Yes, we use our car just about every day, or if not we certainly put the miles on. Its our only car. Only thing that *might* be worth considering is the 13" wheels - if you are using it everyday and therefore going anywhere in it ground clearance could be a problem. We have 14" wheels and its fine, blasting round country lanes and london speed bumps. Heater a good idea - sod the extra weight - it means you can be a bit more comfy when driving 200 miles in the middle of the night when its -5. Have seen Paul's car when it was in bits - certainly worth a look if I were you.

😬33,000 miles in 15 months! *cool* *thumbup*

angus@tinyworld.co.uk

Caterham pics

here

AJG... there's plenty on the market at the moment, though the colour is wrong for you, look at the SL on the sale page of Al Crickmores... £1k more but alot of car in my view, also bright cars mean the idiot BMW drivers see you.... oops just seen what you're trading up from 😬 Either way you'll love uit, and as for an Elise, I've just driven 250 miles in one this morning and my butt is aching!

Tricks...aka darstardly

Y57 CDS "Mutley"

Thanks Chaps. I will give you a call to find out a bit more about what you have to offer.

Not sure about a Superlight as everyday transport though, might be pushing things a bit far! The missus is already complaining because she cant listen to Britney in one and doesnt really seem to understand the concept.

Do you guys have any thoughts on insurance?

I use my 7 as an everyday car. Agree with Angus&Tessa that full weather gear and a heater are pretty fundamental. Apart from that, prepare to join the permanent grin brigade !!

One car - 1400 Supersport with 6 gears and clamshell wings. *smile*

Living in Scotland makes a heater a necessity, but I've yet to use the roof. 😬

The tonneau, however, is an absolute godsend... quicker to put on, get off, and keeping the passenger side on stores in some heat *thumbup*

Ross very black 6spd SuperSport *wink*

I am still looking for the right car, but having spoken to people have now widened (and) narrowed the scope a bit:

I am now inclined towards finding a 1.6 or 1.8 Supersport or VVC. Again I am looking for all the creature comforts(!?!) of leather, heater and full weather protection. 14" wheels seem to be the way to go for a car regularly used on the road, especially as they have the cursed speed bumps around my way. I still have £15,000 to spend, but am finding that there are suprisingly few cars out there fitting my requirements.

Is the change in weather making people reluctant to part with their pride and joy's or am I being too specific? What other websites/Journals are worth reading?

I have a VVC with all the stuff you describe. Weather gear works, but its a pain, so I tend to drive with goggles in the rain. If you go fast enough then it mostly goes over the windscreen. I would think a grarge is really a requirement - some don't but it depends where you live.

13" wheels with 70 profile rubber is as fat as 14" with 60 profile, and looks good, weighs less and 70 profile A021Rs (wet weather tyres of choice for many, so for an everyday car a good option) are about 15pounds cheaper a corner from george polley!

Heater and tonneau are essential - haven't tried any other seats, but leather seats are still good to sit in after a couple of hundered miles on the trot.

Alan

N7CTR 1.8VVC