Click here if you are having website access problems ×

2018 Diff clunk

CtrMint

I started a thread with precisely the same concerns on my 360R with LSD over a year ago. 2000 miles and four Track Days later its still the same. No better, no worse. I fixed it with good ear plugs too.

O.G.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I've come down with a nasty cold, so won't be under the car for a couple of days.  

I've had an email response from CC following a query I sent them over the noise, including my video.  I've received a response stating it's the diff. they all do that etc, but check the mounting bolts.    A response which is aligned with a lot of the comments here.

I guess I am going to have to accept the fact this is how my car is, albeit on the more harsh side.  As I've mentioned previously I have driven newish 420Rs at dealers which didn't make anywhere near the level of noise my does.  I'd be lying if I didn't state I'd prefer mine to be quieter for road use where it will spend most of its time.

I suppose I'm also influenced by my experience at the start of the Taffia 2019 chippy run.  We parked in the corner and left right at the tail of the field watching plenty of 7s pull away and manoeuvring around.  None of the cars seem to vibrate and bang like mine when navigating forwards and backwards both parking and leaving.  Yes you can easily hear mine from outside the car when manoeuvring say from 30ft away.   I appreciate there is a huge array of specs through the ages, and not all are fitted with an LSD, but you are left sort of feeling why on earth is mine so rough.  Doing a 3 point turn is horrific.  I'm not wanting to start a debate on this, as I say I understand the variables involved, I'm just adding a little more context to my wider thoughts.

My oil has arrived from Opie today, so I'll swap that out asap.  I do recall discussions the diff can take 1.1l of oil, but CC only ship 1l in the kit, as a result my diff has 1.0l in it at present.  May be the extra 100ml will make it a little quieter, I ordered 3l as the delivery charge to the IOM is 18GBP so its always worth bulk buying.  I'll of course check the other aspects recommended while under the car. 

if it's any comfort, my K R500 LSD makes dreadful graunchy noises especially in reverse and at slow speeds, to the extent people nearby offer me reassurance that my car is clearly knackered. Seven owners included. However, I do not class it as knocking or banging. edit to add I have had the car about 15+ years.

#72 - Errr no, if the final drive is built correctly then it should be silent..... the knocks and bangs form the Titan are down to the poor design of the unit itself.

#78 It's entitely possible that you have a ZF unit in yours which CC initially took straight out of another application and fitted them in a Caterham complete with 65lb/ft of preload.... *redcard* and the wrong ramp angles too, the former is what is causing your slow speed noises.

You can get replacement blocks to correct the ramp angles or have then reground as I did with mine, and then get the preload adjusted down to a more suitable preload for a lightweight car..... mine is less than 5lb/ft - and silent. Dont be tempted to swap your ZF for a Titan though.... big mistake !