Click here if you are having website access problems ×

'Classic' Front Suspension - Steering Weight? - It's definitely the TREs

Tazio

Just been out for my first 10 mile shakedown drive in my fully rebuilt BDR, it's a 1990 car with the 'classic' front suspension, narrow track, trunnions etc. Aside from a couple of issues the car works, (lovely and loud too), but a general observation is the steering is quite heavy. As I did very little mileage before I stripped the car, I am not sure what to expect, so the question is, is this normal? The car has been set up by Northampton Motorsport..

I have another 7, a widetrack, VX engined car, and the weight of the steering for that car is by comparison, light.

The rack has been rebuilt, and its stiff with weight off, wheel sizes are 13s on both 165s on BD, 185s on VX, 11 inch steering wheels.

So can the ' weight' of rack be slackened off?....I feel a search is in order lol

Yes ... there is a preload screw on top of the steering rack where the column enters. Great big lock nut around a big grub screw with a small hex socket in it. Raise front of car and loosen lock nut (35mm ??) ... then adjust centre screw and see how steering feels lock to lock. Tighten lock nut when done but hold screw while doing so. Check rack from lock to lock again after you have finished.

Thanks SM, been reading the old stiff rack threads, everything on the front suspension is new so it could be something downstream from the rack, track rod ends etc...

I'll do some disconnecting...

You can check the rack as follows

1 The ball joints at the ends of the steering arms could be over tightened

Upon reassembly the two joints should be tightened to a point where a load of 3 to 4 Kg, applied 152mm down the track control arm from the centre of the ball in the joint (ie right near the end), is required to move it

2 The Thrust pad nut referred to by M25 above could be too tight

Upon reassembly the Rack Bar Thrust Pad should be adjusted to give a preload that allows a horizontaly mounted rack to be pulled along its entire length by a force of 50 - 70 N.

This from Elise information on their Titan supplied rack which is essentially the same as the Caterham rack

Sorry Geoff, hadn't made myself clear, I had broken the taper and disconnected the TREs from the steering arms, the joints themselves were as stiff as stiff could be and needed 10 mins of increasingly vigorous wiggling, before they would finally move sufficiently to be reconnected.

Seems to have significantly reduced the heavyness., 

Are these new TRE. When they wear, they get slack. I found with new ones, they feel too tight to be of any use when just working them with your hands, but when on the car they are fine. Seems strange that they need to be loosened up.

Hi Alan, I had a similar issue when I replaced my TREs last MOT time. Steering felt heavy and didn't seem to want to self-centre accurately. Sounds like you've already fixed yours by waggling them but mine very quickly loosened up in normal use and are fine now.