Click here if you are having website access problems ×

New Tyre Help please

Go4it1011

I've been running Uniroyal Rain Expert 3s on a Sigma 125 and it is fun, predictable and safe even in standing water. They even hold up ok on a track day, although you won't be the quickest. Reasonably priced too *smile*

Duncan

In respect of the options suggested on the previous page, do bear in mind that (Toyo) R888 and R888R are different tyres. I’d have thought the R888R rather too ‘extreme’ (dry weather, track focused) for your use.

I had, briefly, a set of almost new ZV3s on a set of 14-inch wheels that I’d bought secondhand. I’m struggling to think of any tyre I’ve used that wouldn’t be an improvement over ZV3s. After nearly thirty years of Sevening on goodness knows how many different tyres, they would come bottom of the list (below the old Eagle NCT from the early 90s).

Choose carefully and you’re in for a treat...

I use Yoko A539 (185/60's all round) in winter and autumn and early spring and then R888R in the summer (although go for 205 60's on the rear) on 1400 Supersport on 13 inch rims. The 205's on the rear fill the wheel arch nicely see below although  best to avoid driving it on the R888R is the p*****g down rain

caterhamtryes3_1.thumb.jpg.9d99b3aa6737fe5bdd87f250700fa78b.jpg

Toby S said Best to avoid driving it on the R888R in p******g down rain

Really...?  See comment #52 here. (The thread generally might be of interest)

The rain we encountered on this trip was far worse than “just” p***ing down...!  On one day I was expecting to see pairs of animals heading for a 300 cubit-long boat!

(have used CR500s and ZZSs so don’t have any personal experience of R888Rs...  but Eugene was tiresomely evangelical about them!)

Hmmn - interesting article- Must admit, I was only going on the the manufacturer's recommendations who suggest extreme care in heavy rain as they are prone to aquaplaning - I've only been out on damp roads (i.e. no standing water) and would agree they are fine (plenty of grip) - would totally agree with previous comments that they are brilliant in the dry.

I'm normally driving with Brookland screens between April - October (the month I have the R888R's on), so when I do get caught (it's p*****g it down)  grip is the least of my worries, as not being able to seen anything tend to slow you down more than sufficiently and generally you'll find me parked up under a tree with the brolley up !!