Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Best practice - nuts & bolt replacement

TomB

During the rebuild of my car, I was planning on replacing the fasteners, but Im wondering if its its necessary apart from being nice and shiny!  I know you should replace nylocs as the plastic locking ring wears, but what about the bolts?  Do bolts fatigue and need replacing?  Should I just clean them up in vinegar/coke in the kitchen and reuse them, or would you replace them? 

I suppose they are 23 years old, and by the time I rebuild the car again (if ever) they could be 40plus years old.  So I think I've inadvertently answered my own question - I probably should! Do you concur? 

If you're removing them, I'd replace them. They would all probably be ok strength wise but for the small cost of replacement its not worth reusing. Make sure you replace like for like though ...

Thanks JK.  Ive given a list of bolt to Chris at Redline and he's doing the hard work for me! ​Ive asked Chris and they are zinc coated nuts and bolts, not stainless, but equally not mild steel.     

Don't use stainless for anything safety-critical. They then to be a lot more brittle than you want. They will also make both chassis and bushings (milder steel) corrode.

Tom: Be aware of the tensile strenght of the bolts. They are not all the same grade. Imperial bolts have different markings that mean something like 4.4 to 12.9 on a metric bolt.

Hi Everyone, 

Im letting Chris @ Redline pick my bolts, and I see on the itemized invoice the hardness bolts (8.8, 10.9).  I'll stick to standard zinc coated steel I think, Ive got enough on my plate with the rebuild to start ordering SS or alloy bolts for different places on the car. 

But for interest, what would be considered critical and non critical?  As Im think about the rear suspension, diff, prop, roll bar at the moment, all these are considered 'critical'.  'Non critical' could be the bolts fasting the windscreen to the scuttle and the plastic one for the rear wings, and exhaust but Im struggling to think what else.