Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Ital with a RKE 155.??

Chris K

OK..

with my meandering and ever changing upgrade plan I have thought about a RKE155.. Robs car was plenty quick and I dont think I want more than that (okok.. YET )

but would a ital be able to take the power???

usage is 99% road with maybe 3-4 track days a year.

My ital is as std.. if it could take the power, what mods could be made to it to prevent premature breakages.. shimming??

Quaife have released a new upgrade for the Ital for 600ukp +vat and working on a disc conversion for 1k. Quaife say the upgrade should take 200bhp, should I take this fugure as said or with a pinch of salt?

Im trying to cost up if its cheaper to upgrade the ital to take the power or go all the way and get a Timken (1k 😳), 650ukp for new wheels/rubber + 200ukp for new front hubs.

ta

Chirs

Now, Beakie, we'll just flip this switch and 60,000 refreshing volts of electricity will surge through your body. Ready?..

Chris,

You could get the Ital strengthed quite cheaply (uprated half shafts, bracing ...) - not sure who to ask - but Paul Harvey should know a bit about them, and those racing in the Academy series should know someone.

Otherwise I would consider going down the english axle route as this is likey to be cheaper, and many others have done it - I even think Phil Winters is in the process of doing it, so he may be able to shed some light on the issues/cost.

I used to have a 150bhp spec Xflow and loved it! Arguably a light Live Axle car is as good as a dedion ( *eek*) in that the weight saved helps the Power to weight ratio!

Greg, Q 86 NTM (Green 185BHP XF)

Hi Chris, yep I have just finished a swap to the Ford axle. I think you could change to a ford axle for less than the £600 upgrade and that £1000 disc conversion.... if you are willing to do some of the axle building your self.

Get the casing made up by HTR and then build it yourself and source a disc conversion that takes the sierra calipers so you'll have the same set-up as De-Dion - so easy to get pads etc... light weight calipers when they are ready from Hi-Spec, etc.

The disadvatage is the extra weight - but I can't wait to enjoy putting my foot down without that nagging feeling that the axle will go pop.

Mail me if you want more info.

Phil Waters

You mean you can drive these?

I thought it was just there to polish 😬

HI

A good condition ITAL axle is more than safe with 155 bhp (should take 170 as long as your not an animal with 8" slicks) , as for shimming just keep an eye on axle half shaft float, if it gets bad get it modded ( IMO, tack welding the bearing in place is a better solution , that'll put the cat among the pigeons). As for track days just make sure you over fill the diff ( any live axle will suffer surge due to the nature of the axle ).

Save your money and buy lots of fuel and tyres for £600 , if it breaks with that sort of power its probably decause its old and shagged and to top it all its the lightest axle out there.

REAL SEVENS HAVE IRON B'LOCKS

CHEERS

CHRIS

Chris

I'm running a big valve head on a 1700 xflow which at the flywheel gives approx 143bhp (On Aldon rolling road) and I run a standard axle with so far no problems (quickly touches some wood, head springs to mind 😬 😬).

I think if you push it much beyond 155 you will struggle and be warned about the amount of pressure slicks will add to the axle, hope this is of some use

Graham

*confused* Competition Secretary *confused*

*cool* Lydden, Curborough, MIRA, Llandow, Loton Park, Curborough, Aintree...What more can you ask for? *cool*

I'm running a xflow that showed 140 at the wheels on the rolling road, so its around 155 to 160. Built with the same spec as Rogers. Mine was built with the help of Revin Kevin, its been in the car for over a year now, and all is well, and I'm not exactly gentle with it!

I have one half shaft that has been tack welded, but the other is standard. I never run slicks though *thumbup*