Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Very Concerned About My Cars Handling

Anthony Micallef

Lisa and I were out today on a run with the SELOC. Our 1.6k to Supersport didn't seem very happy with anything except the smothest of roads. Even then it had a tendency to wander. Now I know Caterhams are very light and can be seen as twitchy but I didn't feel confident driving it at all. At one point on a fast section I thought I was about to lose control, although it was on a bumpy section.

I know its probably hard to give a response without being in the car but any advice will be gratefully received.

The Happy 7 Owner 😬 😬 😬

Oddly enough, I had the same feeling with my recently acquired Sprint, today ☹️. I discovered the steering column linkage just forward of the scuttle to have some play (gulp !), so I've tightened that. The manual says the wheels should have 30secs of Toe-in..is this correct? Mine appear to have lots of toe-out...... *confused*

Most common causes are:

Bump Steer - the steering rack is at a height where its length is not constant with the lower wishbone, thus cuasing the wheels to toe in and out as the suspension works hard.

Spring rates - front suspension is too soft and is hitting the bump stops, adversely effecting steering.

Steering rack - check for play on the inbound ends of the track rods - normally these only work loose on cars with the steel bodies steering rack - the alloy racks have the ball joints pinned to prevent this.

To a lesser extent, too little castor will make the car twitchy. (Move the lower front wishbones forward relative to chassis)

Odd toe-in/out settings - I prefer the tracking set parallel or maybe 0.5mm of toe out.

Fat Arn

Visit the K2 RUM website

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website here

Peter, some interesting questions. All to which I have to answer 'no'. Although your second question i'm not 100 % sure but I would say that if the trait was always there then its getting worse as I've only recently noticed it as bad as it is.

Al, from someone who spends all their spare time in bed and not driving your SL you have no room to comment.

The Happy 7 Owner 😬 😬 😬

Anthony,

Have you done many miles in it since you put the new tyres on? I know that when I switched from some hardened old tyres to AO32r's, the car did take on a life of it's own...

(I know that you had AO21r's before, but the newer ones might be sticking better than the old ones?)

C7 GAR

There was a serious note in my previous remark about the beetle. Drove the SL three weeks ago after a long lay-up and it felt bizarre for a good hour or so. You get used to not being able to feel anything in a normal car is all I meant.

I don't mind taking it up the road on Thursday for you mate. *thumbup*

Al, I should have put a smiley on my comment about your driving as I was taking the mickey. The Beetle is no more as we have traded it in for an old banger to enable us to release some money for a quicker escape up north. I think the roads around The Viper will be ideal to test the cars handling!

The Happy 7 Owner 😬 😬 😬

I agree with Al. Took mine out for the first time in months and it felt very very strange for the first few miles. I thought the brakes had failed, the steering was extra heavy and it tramlined like a b**tard. But after a while I remembered that it's all very normal. Oh yes, it's also rather quick compared to a diesel Golf!!

C7 GAR

As Gary has said, a new set of tyres can have a huge affect. Our new 48's certainly wander more over bumps (well worth it though *smile*) and on fast blasts down country lanes you do have to concentrate - without fighting it.

When we changed from pilots to 32's this wandering was the biggest change we noticed, soon got used to it and called it 'direct' instead of 'wandering'!

Having said that, I am also going to check all the aboth mentioned potential causes of wander - in our NEW GARAGE - well, next weekend anyway *thumbup*

😬33,000 miles in 15 months! *cool* *thumbup*

angus@tinyworld.co.uk

Caterham pics

here

Like Mr Aves, I found that when I had the 15" Prisoner wheels fitted with new Yoko A520's, it took about 500 miles (yes, 500) to loose the hard casing finish & to start to get at the rubber!To speed along the process I bought some tyre softener from D.Tweeks as used by racers and painted it well onto the treads. Smells a bit like 'Gunk' and is obviously petroleum based. It softened them up well and they were great after that.

How are the dampers? Has a major effect on the front end/handling!

Thank you to everyone who has given their advice. The tyres I have on my car are not brand new so I think I can rule them out. I will bring my car along to the Essex meet this Thursday for a 2nd opinion. Failing that I will get the factory to check it over when it is serviced next week.

I have been in several Caterhams both as a passenger and a driver. I am convinced that my car isn't handling as well as it should wether that be because there is something mechanically wrong or wether its just a problem with the cars setup. I suppose only time will tell.

The Happy 7 Owner 😬 😬 😬