Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Lotus 7 Twinky

sclemow

Hi I've just bought a S1 Lotus Seven just restored and updated to S3 twincam spec, which I intend to use for hillclimbing and sprinting and as an occasional road car.

Although not new to owning classic cars this is the first Seven I've owned.

I've got a few questions concerning it.

I intend to get a FIA Cage with a diagonal, where does the diagonal mount at the front, I guess through the floor onto a chassis rail?

I've read a few comments about doing regular bolt checks, I assume they shake themselves loose on suspension joints etc. What in particular should I look for?

How adjustable are the rear wings as one of them is mounted slightly lower on the body than the other (I'm sure the chassis isn't bent as it has done <150 miles since being rebuilt by Arch Motors.)?

Also looking at it, how do you get at the distributor? It seems to be too close to the body panel even with the nose cone off?

Simon

Since you're talking about the diagonal I assume you mean an FIA rollover bar rather than a cage? On later cars the diagonal bolts into a threaded bush in the chassis, the bush being concealed behind the aluminium skin by default. I don't know whether the Series 1 had provision for this, but I doubt it.

The only bolt I've ever had come loose on my car has been the alternator tensioner. Having said that it is worth running a spanner over all the suspension mounting bolts from time to time.

I've never seen adjustable rear wings. On later models they're simply bolted on. Suggest you take a rear wheel off and have a look.

Mike

Thanks for the reply Mike,

Yes I do mean the roll over bar not the cage, I'd forgotton they did a cage for them.

I didn't mean adjustable wings, what I meant was how much adjustment is in them when they are put on. Mine are bolt on too, however I am assuming that with either a bit of filing, or a packing behind the bolts that I can shift it a bit to even up the sides and to stop the wing rubbing agains the tyre under hard cornering. The difference between the top of the body and the top of the wing is about 10mm between the sides.

Simon