Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Pulling to the right under braking

Phil R

Hi,

my live axle Vauhall 1.8 is pulling to the right under braking. I only noticed it after fitting Yoko 21's but I have since tried going back to my CR322's again (two sets of wheels you see) and the symptom's still there just not as strong. I've had a wiggle of the front wheels and they don't appear to have any play. I've checked the front brake calipers and all pistons are working fine. I've also had the back brakes cleaned out and adjusted so they're OK.

My next plan is to bleed the brakes but is there anything else you think might be causing this problem? The car's only done 2800 miles so I would't expect the front suspension bushes to be that bad.

All ideas gratefully received!!

Thanks,

/Phil.

If all the tyre pressures are correct etc I can only think this is a brake caliper/piston sticking fault. Either the rhs is grabbing or the lhs is sticking/seized giving inefficient retardation. If this is being used on 'std' roads you are effectively climbing the road camber a bit!

Clamshell Club Founder Member.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your suggestion.

Yeah all tyre pressures are good. The pistons are definitely not stuck as I replaced the pads with some worn out ones which were no more than a third the thickness of the good ones. Then I pumped the brakes until I got some feel to the pedal and went and checked that all the pistons had clamped the pads aginst the disk. They had, so I pushed the pistons back into the calipers and put the good pads back in.

I'm wondering if there might be some air in the left caliper that needs bleeding. I'm thinking that maybe the pistons are working but not with sufficient force/efficiency.

I dunno *confused*

/Phil.

Phil

You may have different damper setting left to right (or rear ones set differently). This would cause one corner of the car to dive under braking more than the other.

Set them all fully back to 0 then click 5 on from there each and try.

Good luck.

Robster

With both front wheels off the ground gently apply the brakes while an assistant checks to see if they start to appy at the same time-this will rule out caliper/air in the lines trouble. Aloose ball joint will allow the wheel to shift under braking also.

Tom

Robster, I didn't think my dampers were adjustable. They're the standard Bilstein's supplied with the live axle classic. I will have a look this evening though.

Arnie, I remembered you posting this before so I did check that the pads were in with the friction surface against the disc. *wink*

Tom, what's the best way to check for play in the ball joint?

Thanks for the ideas,

/Phil.

More than likely to be sticking calipers. are you sure that the pistons on each are coming out for the same distance? There may be a lazy piston which will come out but not as quickly as the other. take out the pads on one side at a time and put something a lot thinner in its place, i had exactly these symptoms last year and was sure that the pistons were working ok. they werent and a good cleaning session with new seals was called for.

It may be air but uless there is a leak or you have had the things appart this is unlikely.

To check the ball joint you will have to apply some leverage and check for play.

Run Baby Run

Edited by - John E on 10 Mar 2003 07:37:11