Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rear suspension bush life

TomB

Morning all, 

Im rebuilding my 1996 7, and while the rear bushes are not original, they are probably 12 years old and 30000 miles old.  The car is getting a new de-dion tube from Arch, leaving only 2 A frame bushes and 4 trailing arm bushes to press out and replace for all new rear suspension bushing. 

What is the lifetime of rear suspension bushes?  For the cost and minimal effort with a big vice, would you change them?    

What about the harder to replace diff carrier bushes?  These don't twist like suspension bushes and only take up vibration from the diff as I understand it. They are also tricker to access to remove, so I'm minded to leave them in the chassis.  

Front bushes were all new 2-3 years ago when I fitted wide track so they are fine  to stay.  

Appreciate your thoughts

Tom 

• Area Representative

How long is a piece of string........suspension bushes are an on condition item but with a strip down carried out it is best to change them while all the gubbins are out. Sods law dictates that if you put everything back together with the original bushes still fitted then a few miles down the road they will start producing that knocking noise.

I would not recommend changing the chassis diff mounting bushes unless you want a real challenge!