Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Apollo tank

p.mole1

I am sure I have read somewhere that you should fit a one way valve into the airbleed hose to stop the oil draining out of the tank when the engine is stopped. Where would I be able to get one these? I have done a search but come up blank

I should add that not everyone thinks they are worthwhile. They certainly stop the oil draining down though so you get immediate oil pressure on starting rather than listening to the engine grumbling for a few seconds until pressure is built up.

I'm only short of a couple fittings for the airbleed and the sandwich plate, I will make up my own oil hoses. The sandwich plate is around £30 and as long as I don't use fancy anodised oil fittings it should cost too much.

• 2 weeks later...

IMG_3580.thumb.JPG.277c90176e47546fa5171e803ae3cf6d.JPG I'm having one hell of job getting all this in. I have had to grind a bit of the block away above the filter housing. I have an old Lucas ACR alternator and its huge which doesn't help. The hoses are a mix of one correct hose and two hoses from a LHD car from Caterham.  I think this may have an advantage as the loop will stop the oil from draining out the tank when the engine has stopped.  

Are you fitting it to an S3 ? On my SV, I ad plenty of room, and didn't have to run the hoses through the alternator belt ... I fitted the sandwich plate outlets horizontally and ran the hoses sideways and forwards. Might have a photo.

Through the fan belt is what Caterham’s instructions say. Looks worrying but they are rigid so it isn’t a problem and I think it’s the only way on an S3. Fit a spare fan belt around the hoses otherwise you’ve it all to take off to change it in the future. Note the tank fits in a different place on a metric chassis (in case that’s what you have). 

Pre dry sump I never had an issue with the hoses / alt belt. It does seem a bit shocking but works fine.

I have an apollo kit in the garage loft if you want me to measure the hose lengths.

Also, a local hydraulics place will make up with new hose / old fittings for not a lot. I had the fuel line re-made between tunnel rigid pipe and fuel rail on a K series and it was less than a tenner with proper crimped collars.(Nuneaton Hose)

Ian

Its in, when I started the engine it was only showing 20 psi I hadn't accounted for the extra 3 liters of oil required for the Apollo and Accusump. It appears that an oil pump can pump air or at least oil froth, I loosened the air bleed fitting and oil froth escaped. The sump pan must have been almost empty. My oil temperature is also running 10 degrees cooler with the Apollo, it's going to make oil changes a bit expensive as there must be over 8 liters of oil in the engine nowIMG_3582.thumb.JPG.df73134a966b9de1eed835f74fd32f43.JPG  

The coolant level looks a little high in the expansion tank IMO, the K series tends to operate without over pressurising etc. where the coolant level sits on or around the horizontal plastic seam. Just my 2p's worth, happy for others to contribute on this.