Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Hubcap (front bearing cap) removal

Lee Mabee

please advise...is there a trick or tool to remove the front bearing cover...

on my 94..it was the channel lock much denting and deforming to get off...

is there a source for rubber or plastic replacement....(?if cap Wilwood offers would fit)....would like to keep caps on new car looking better and speedy access to adjust bearing...thanks in advance....Lee

I have the same problem. The subject was discussed here so have a look in the archives. I am waiting for a delivery from CC with replacements so I dont have to worry about wrecking the old ones. Then let all hell break loose with a chisel & a lump hammer!!

This is a hardy perennial, see threads earlier this week. One trick not mentioned thus far is to put a selftapper through a small hole in the end of the dustcap. As it winds through it will bear on the end of the stub axle and pull the cap off.

Alternatively it's a case of tapping alternate sides, maybe with a chisel. When they get battered they are easily available from Rimmer Bros (really) of Lincoln, UK, as they fit Triumph Spitfires. I'm sure one of the classic car suppliers has them in the USA.

I just clout mine with a soft faced mallet. I've never dented them too badly using this approach, on any car.

There is a tool for this job-Snap-On I think- that is basically a pair of pliers that are pincers that grab the cup adjacent to the hub. They are made in such a way that you can tap on them , or simply rocking side to side does the trick. Would be happy to dig up a part # if anyone wants.

Tom

Last time I took the bearing caps off I enlarged the small breather hole in the cap and fitted M5 hank bushes from the back. These are a bit like the threaded pop rivets. Now I just wind in am M5 screw to remove the cap. Much like the self tapper listed above. I did try the self tapper approach and found that it ripped out the thread before it released the cap. Also the hard point is more likely to damage the end of the stub axle.

John S