Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Battery sizing

skmelrose

Hi

Having successfully removed and rebuilt the carbs on my 1992 HPC Vauxhall Red Top, I am now trying to sort out the battery. The car came with a lead acid unit intended for a lawn tractor with a rating of 350 cold cranking amps. There is no mention of capacity so when I look at Li-Ion options it is impossible to choose a size. The exiting battery is positioned under the carbs and is a total pig to get in and out so I am looking for a smaller unit.

Antigravity suggested a unit that is 30 amp/hr and 800 CCA but it is the same size as the existing one. Demon-tweeks list Varleys ranging from 13 -20 Ah and 156-230 CCA as possible choices. In the end, I am looking for rating advice as I will have to source here in Canada.

On a separate topic, I have discovered that the car has a LSD which is exciting but can anyone tell me what sort came with HPCs and what oil to use?

As usual it is going down to -23C windchill tonight with the usual mix of snow, ice, gales and general winter pestilence but, one day, the snow will go, the roads will loose their frost heaves and the garage door will open again.*clap*

As always, any advice will be much appreciated.