Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Reverse Light Blowing Fuse

CtrMint

I jacked the car up and moved all the wires from the diff carrier back, then check the continuity, and it had changed, so I shorted the switch again, and the reverse light came on!.

I went looking closer and found that the wire had suffered right in the corner where the A frame attaches with the washers,  As I moved it you could hear it short.  I guess I might have caught it, but the cable was so dam tight in the corner I'm not sure how.

Do you think I can wrap it in electrical tape or does it need a new wire cutting into the loom?  

Excuse the following hi-res image.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would be inclined to carefully unwrap the tape either side of the damage, then see if you can get about 10mm of slack in the wiring. I would then cut the damaged wires, thread some heat-shrink over them, strip back about 10mm each side and solder them back together. After sliding the heat-shrink over the join(s) I would then re-tape to the adjacent taped cable to give the wires support.

i know that it will be annoying having that repair there, but I think soon forgotten once you drive the car!

Thanks for all the support.  Feeling much calmer now, last night was gut-wrenching, to say the least.  The build has been so mentally tough and to face pulling it apart was heartbreaking.  I'm trying to keep a sort of "kit car", "slightly different" and open-minded approach, but it's not easy for me.

I think I can sort this and I agree there seem to be 2 main options;

1. Source the sub loom and replace 
  2. 'Loca'l repair.

For 1) I've been unable to locate the sub loom on CC parts website, I guess it must be part of a larger section.

W.r.t. 2) I'd like to make it as factory as possible, and I have 3 options,

1. Cut out the dodgy bit, and solder together, if there is sufficient excess in the loom.
  2. Cut and solder in a replacement short wire 
  3. Cut out the wire from the start of the damage and solder in a long section all the way back to the econoseal plug.

I suppose I could even make the loom myself from the gearbox back???

I'm thinking 1) is probably too short and will strain the connection over time.  2) has twice as many soldered joints, so 3) is probably the best.

Do you know what gauge wire is used?

I would not replace the loom for that damage, but understand you want the best (as those that know me and my cars know I want).

This is a bit from memory because my car is not with me at the moment, but the loom running down the tunnel is combined (all the wires), and splits into separate lines for the rear light, fuel pump ect near the diff.   Obviously only the reverse light split is damaged and in need of replacement.    You could purchase some econoseal connectors and the tool to crimp them.   Cut the reverse light line as it comes down the diagonal behind the seat from the tunnel to the ARB, and put an econoseal connector on.   Then make a lead with the correct wires, length and colour, loom tape etc, and two new econoseal connectors one for the reverse light and one to join it back to the original loom.    Done correctly all you would end up with is one extra male and female econseal connectors, something that's all over the loom anyway.   You could even match the position on the diagonal where the speed sensor connection is made on the other side.  

If you do purchase an econoseal tool, get some extra crimps to try a few before you start on the loom, its not hard but you will want the practice before crimping onto your loom. 

I think I'll use some electrical tape for now and plan to sort the issue properly during the summer.  I was in the garage till gone midnight last night and was completely frozen by the end, so tackling this with more time, patience and warmth over the summer will make the process at least easier.   I think.....

From what you say I don't think I can replace the entire loom without pulling more than I want out.  I was hoping to split the econoseal plug at the gearbox and then at the light and then pull the damaged cable out, with minimal fuss, but I guess that's not as simple as I thought given its covered in loom tape to the point it splits, I guess just in front of the diff carrier.

So it looks like I'll need a join behind the passenger seat and then a run of new cable to a new econoseal plug at the light.

I'm not sure about another plug behind the passenger seat. I've been looking around and come across the following;

https://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/cable-joiners-heat-shrink-glue-and-solder-45mm-pack-of-10

I think that would be smaller, cleaner and less obvious.  I'd of course cover in loom tape as well.  

At the moment I can't find thin walled 11A cable of the same colour scheme which is disappointing.