Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Synchro rings and Ford gearboxes

smurfy

I have 4 sp. Quaife Rocket straight cut box that is in good condition but in need of a set of synchro rings. I also have a good type 9 and have heard that 2nd hand rings if in good condition can be fitted.

Will the type 9 synchros fit the 4 speed box or would I be better buying new and are they available ?

Thanks for any advice.

The type 9 and the rocket box are different gearboxes to start with, therefore, unlikely the parts will interchange. Also, if your gearbox already has quaife internals which are straight cut, I think you'll find the type 9 has helical gears. Best bet phone Quaife for advice as they produce gear kits as well as full gearboxes, so probably do spare parts for your box. Hope this helps.

Type 9 baulk rings are far weaker (they crack from a very weak section that locates the blocker bars) and also wont fit the 4 speed box.

4 speed synchro rings were available from Ford the last time I bought them, the difficulty is finding a person at the parts counter who knows of the existence of any Ford cars before the Sierra 🙆🏻