Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Starter jammed on , ignition off. SolveD? (Ford Duratec in a Ford)

anthonym

Mondeo, just had new starter fitted - Duratec engine V6

The solenoid is permanently "on", ignition off. - engine starts as soon as ignition set to "on".

Battery disconnect is the only way to stop it. 

Any ideas? 

Well hacked off, only had it fitted because the working old one was old. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

And of course it is going home time on a Friday.

I have found the negative battery terminal has broken so will replace that - google suggests low voltage can be an issue (a.k.a K Click of Death), but with the ignition off?!!

I've never seen such a thing. 

Anthony

Well, you already know what's wrong.  You can confirm it without connecting it electrically  by checking for continuity across the main feed and earth lead.  Personally I'd just fit the old (working ) one and return the new (rubbish) one though.

Was it you that was asking about replacing the (working) starter and alternator on your Caterham recently?  I seem to remember a thread from a few weeks ago.

Anthony, I replaced the starter on my jeep last year, a pig to get to. When I went to start it, the fuse blew for the ignition. Supplying company were little help, so out it came again. In this instance it was the terminal they added to make the jeep ignition feed plug and play, this was shorting against the terminal next to it. I had to remove The one from the old starter and all was well. Sounds like yours may not be that simple, but might be worth a look all the same, if your live is feeding back to the solenoid.

Alastair

IMG_9782.thumb.jpg.27aab8b2592672b0c6fd60fd8fe3b2c0.jpg

As ever thank you very much indeed for everyone's support and suggestions. MAY BE with all your encouragement I have found the problem. That black power lead viewed from high above looked disturbingly close to that terminal. So I scrawped by hand in there and pulled it away. Presto! no starter when battery connected. Turned key and car started normally.  So in the morning I will replace the broken negative battery terminal with the one I have already bought to replace it because it looked feeble and what to do about that wire, cable really. 

I guess the cover has been chafed away in three weeks flat. I suppose some tape will do until she goes into Ford very soon for a new antenna, I'll add this as a task. 

Thank you again - any other comments welcome, starter running with car off was a first for me and quite disturbing. 

Anthony

p.s. and so the work quality was suspect.

... starter running with car off was a first for me...

Funny you should say that.  Some years ago I had similar symptoms with a Sierra, but only in very damp weather.  I'd start the car, and the starter would remain engaged and turning as I moved off.  At the same time, the ABS light and others would flash on the dash.  The problem was down to corrosion around the solenoid connections making an electrical contact, but only when wet!

Glad you've debugged your problem.

JV