Click here if you are having website access problems ×

13x8 apollo rims on 2004 academy rear?

Steve A

Ok so is there any issues with fitting wider rims on the rear of a 2004 academy car? I seem to recall reading about this several years back but cannot find the post. Having just purchased said wheels they seem awful tight on the de dion ears....to tight for comfort. Can anyone point me towards the post or pass on any experience/advice on any necessary mods needed

Thanks

It's a common problem so don't worry, you'll need to get hold of an angle grinder and grind off a few mm on the under side of the de dion ear being careful not to grind off part of the weld. 

Also when the wheels are balanced any weight s will need to be positioned further inboard of the inner rim to avoid being knocked off by the ear.

Do you have a rear ARB fitted?

Thanks, I have to admit there has been an element of worry but did seem to recall a solution (as ever) being on here.....angle grinder will be out tomorrow. I'd been hankering after a wider rear set up for a while and finally purchased today only to find they were well tight.

It was one of the weights which made me start looking, it needs moving

No rear ARB, does this cause further issues?

its not the underside of the DeDion that fouls the wheel its the rearmost part   - 9 o'clock when looking at the right hand side, biggest problem is stones get caught in this gap and carve grooves in the rim.

Worth marking the rims prior to having new tyres so you can avoid balance weights in any tight spots

cover the caliper and suspension with bags and tape in place prior to reprofiling with an angle grinder.

Not sure it could improve the handling it’s spot on as is but was never happy how it looked... bit vain I know but not done more than 100 miles a year over the last 5 or 8 years so need to start and use it....intending to up the power substantially as well soon, maybe even use it what I bought it for originally too, sprinting, so need to build back some enthusiasm it’s a start!

All done, at least 3 - 4 mm clearance and no grinding required the shims were the issue and having cut them back all is good albeit a close fit. Moreover I have spent the day taking the rear suspension apart and put it back as it should be a job I have been putting off for some time (years!) I didn't build the car but had noticed some bolts the wrong way round which has been upsetting my OCD somewhat.

Thanks for the advice guys ill let you know how the grip is when i take it out..... after the winter salt has washed away and roads are dry *driving*