Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rubber car mats

grumpy the 7th

Do any of you suffer from wetness under the floor mats?

I took mine out many many years ago after finding the floor was always wet under them. (most likely as a result of ingress of rain through the heater vents when parked up) On one trip to Skye I found a good few inches of water in each footwell after a night of heavy rain. I subsequently drilled a couple of 1/8th inch holes in each floor so that what comes in now goes out.

I also have a bit of vinyl which I place under the bonnet and over the heater box (and air filter which once got so wet that the engine wouldn't run with any revs)

I've had bare ali ever since and find the only bit of dampness now is behind the seat rail where the seat bases touch the floor. (must get my "Caterham bladder" sorted)

• Area Representative

'Floating' rubber mats after driving in rain is the norm for Sevens. Even with drain holes in the floor pan it is best to remove the mats after driving in wet conditions so as to mop up the residual moisture & allow the floor to dry otherwise you are entertaining the rot bug.  *yikes*

• Leadership Team

It's very tempting to have a go at bonding the rubber mats to the floor and seal round the edges with Sikaflex, accepted the usual ½" of water would still get in but it would just sit on top of the mat so no need to remove and dry out.

Stu.

My car lives outside a lot of the time, and gets driven in all weathers, and I don't suffer from this.  Only moisture running off wet shoes etc.

Seal the bulkhead to the panel the heater is on, seal the scuttle top to the side skins, and use silcon draught excluder around the heater inlet and outlets where it contacts the car.  I also blanked off quite a lot of the footwell vents with riveted on, and sealed ali plates so give the draught excluder somewhere to seal to.

Touch wood, it's been fine for 17 or more years.