Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Dashboard Switches

BigCol

I am contemplating a custom dashboard...  

I am looking to use Savage single throw switches in black like this. They are available as single or double pole, momentary or latched.

I want to replicate a two-position switch; so from off, press on, switches on one circuit, press again, switches on a second circuit, press again, switches off (for two-speed fan and two-speed wipers: off - slow - fast - off and headlights: off - side - main - off)

Also, alongside the lights switch, a momentary switch where, if main lights are off (ie off or sides on), press to flash and if main lights are on, it’ll toggle between full and dipped beam.

Cant believe I will be the first to do this, so how have others achieved this?  Have you used relays or solid-state logic or compromised somehow? (if so, how?)  

(Caterham will supply a blank carbon dashboard and I have a contact who will water-cut the holes given a CAD file for a very reasonable amount, so this is now the tricky bit!)

Have a look here https://billetautomotivebuttons.com/collections/19mm-billet-buttons/products/19mm-2-step-billet-push-button-switch-launch-control-etc edit to say u can use one of these to activate the main beam activate when the running lights are on or fully automatic and use a second light switch to activate the high beam https://www.amazon.com/Solu-Photosensitive-Resistance-Headlight-Photoelectric/dp/B00ZWPKKJE

• Support Team

My first comment is: "don't". *smile*

I fitted Savage switches a few years ago and they haven't worn well. The symbols have dropped off a couple of them - easy enough to glue back on but not ideal. I also had the problem you are facing with 2 position switches. Caterham use a custom circuit board to control all this and when I was looking it was over £300. In the end I compromised and had separate toggle switches for wiper speed and heater fan speed. I have a headlight on/off switch (latching), a main beam switch (latching) and a main-beam flash (momentary). You'll probably need some additional relays since the Savage switches won't take the current that some of the standard ones do.

Since that project I've ditched the windscreen so have a load of redundant switches which I need to tidy up some time. If I ever re-do the dash properly, I'll probably ditch the Savage switches and use some good quality toggles in a layout more like the 620R. You can get 3 position toggles for the headlights, etc.

Cutting the carbon was easy enough - I used a step drill to make the switch holes and a dremel type tool to cut any larger holes such as for the Stack dash. I covered the entire dash with masking tape and drew out my design before cutting and drilling. It looked pretty good when I first did it but in hindsight I wouldn't have bothered.

If you find a solution to the toggling switches then it should keep the switch count down and make the dash a bit neater than mine ended up. Keep us posted on how you get on.

Interesting Elie...  I got excited when I read "two step"...  that's just the label!  These are off - press once, on - press again, off.

That said, these switches do have three terminals - common, normally-open and normally-closed so could be used to cross-over switch - ie main/dipped beam.

Would be a bit concerned that they're coming from Australia and their price for the 22mm switches is comparable to CBS.

Thanks Shaun...  I found a thread from a few years ago and you made the same comment about wishing you hadn't!

I like the look of these switches - so much neater than the chunky BL ones I have now (or 620-style toggles/guards) but take your point about that they don't wear well.  That wasn't something I had considered.

I would be reticent about mixing toggles and these slimline ones (apart from the indicators) - it would upset my desire for sleek neatness! *yikes*