Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K series starting

Evetts1960

Because you have a problem looming !

Battery dying ? Check liquid levels if wet type. Remove, clean and remake ALL connections on black and red fat cables. Try that for starters before removing starter and getting it and integral solenoid tested and overhauled at your local auto electrical place.

But before doing all that, make sure it's not in-gear, use a length of suitable wire, and trigger the solenoid on the starter direct from the battery.  If it works, repeatedly, then just fit a separate relay to trigger it from the igntion switch.

I'm using the orginal well cooked, flooded, frozen, over-heated (its close to the exhaust) starter it came with in 2001, and the same battery cables.  I just bypassed the original wiring from the switch through all the Rover/Caterham bits, by fitting the separate relay and it's own power supply from the fusebox.

10 yrs later I've no worries it won't start . .. ;-)

When you do the relay mod DO USE a SPDT (single pole double throw) 60 amp 12 volt one.

AND replace the thick red wire to the solenoid with either a thicker one or at least a new cable (mine had gone black and brittle) Ooer *yikes*

Fatal error to say this *banghead* BUT

I changed a couple of 30 amp ones before fitting a 60 amp relay a good many years ago. On inspection when opening up the relays the contacts were showing signs of spiking and pitting (and there's NOTHING like 30 amps passing through the relay contacts)