Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Lightened flywheel or not??

Keith Mac

Hi,

I'm considering replacing the standard flywheel on my Roadsport (150 Sigma) for a lightened alternative and would be interested in hearing any views  - positive and/or negative - about this conversion.

I know that it should make it easier to reach maximum revs, but on the down side, make it more 'fiddly' in traffic - especially as I have throttle bodies fitted.

Is it worth the pain for the return??.

Many thanks, Keith

I've had two cars with lightened flywheels - a 1380 mini (classic not BMW) and my seven, and both transformed the 'perceived' acceleration!

I think being a petrol head you have the understanding and willingness to deal with the compromise that such a modification brings. I just give it a few more revs when pulling away in traffic. 

Do it!!

Ian

Eccles,

Most tintop haynes manuals will tell you how to remove and refit a flywheel. Just find a ford car manual that uses the same engine.

- Engine out

- Gearbox off

- unbolt clutch cover (check whether new bolts needed). Remember which side of friction plate faces flywheel & check for wear.

- Lock flywheel and unbolt (usually new bolts needed)

- Fit new flywheel (sometimes new bolts come preloaded with loctite but if not check if needed) and torque up bolts as per manfacturer specification

- Refit clutch - ensure friction plate centred else you wont get gearbox back on. Torque bolts.

- Check / replace thrust bearing (K series were prone to failure due to insufficient bearing pre-load so were classed as a service item whenever in bits!)  

Reassembly is the reverse of disassembly.

Stuart at Premier Power has championed the Ultra light fly wheel and clutch for the Sigma for several years now. His current version is more than 2.5 kg lighter than CCs own lightweight flywheel/ clutch set up and he says a Sigma 125 bhp feels quicker fitted with one  than a standard Sigma 140 Supersport. On a 150 Sigma it's going to be impressive. Guess it's down to the razor sharp throttle response you get. It also happens he now does a Ultra lightweight flywheel and clutch for the Duratec. Now that's an interesting and potentially great first upgrade for my 360R.  I'm looking at the piggy bank right now! 

It will transform the car, just make sure you get one from a reputable supplier. Many years ago when I used to have Mini's the A series ones, my friends lightened standard flywheel exploded and is was like a bomb going off completely destroyed the transfer case,drive shaft, huge dints in bonnet, and subframe. Luckily none of the shrapnel came through the floor.

• Area Representative

Keith

I have a 150 SV, and last winter I had a lightened Flywheel fitted.

I purchased the Flywheel from TTV Racing at Copdock near Ipswich, the saving was 4.5kg off the standard Flywheel, I had Team Leos fit it for me, it has totally transformed the car without any issues. 

Go for it. 

Kingsley