Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Just bought a 7 - Advice on brakes please

Gary-Cornwall

At last someone who makes sense!. Most people want loads more power and don't realise how much more time you can save by having good brakes, the right setup and decent tyres, £400 on brakes is worth more than £1400 on engines where track days are concerned!!.

I have the same car except mine's a crossflow. On the brake front I had a the same problemn with the standard setup and opted for a EBC/Wilwood setup.

It consists of green stuff pads, dirty great big 4 pot Wilwood calipers and a bigger grooved/vented front disks, the brake balance is fine if you use the EBC rear shoes. The whole lot costs me £416 + VAT (although i got a reduction on the calipers see later on).

What I would say is that I did not want to upgrade the calipers only they couldn't get the correct spacer kit for my current ones and after much aggro with various calipers they supplied the wilwoods at a reduced price. There is also an anti-rattle kit that I have on order as the pads tend to clatter around a bit.

If you call Sejoc on 01375 846401 thy can fill you in on details. If you have the right calipers you can do the disk/caliper spacer ugrade for about £200-ish but the bigger calipers give so much more feel and stopping power and without the dreaded mintex squeal.

If your anywhere near Hoddesdon call Chris Wheeler at the 7 workshop on 01992 470480, he did a good job on my brakes.

Another advantage is the pads and shes are dirt cheap front and rear are £43 inc VAT and postage!.

Hope this ranting and babbling helps.

Graham

P.S live axles ARE the best!

If you're going to race it as a Graduates spec car you won't be able to uprate the brakes. Besides the standard tyres are not going to offer much grip to brake with. If you're just using it as the basis for another series then the car will probably be outgunned by just about anything else due to it's feeble engine.

The best set up (IMHO) would be uprated brakes and Yoko A021Rs. Now THAT would grip.

Cheers, Davebo.

C7 CAR.

P.S. Whose car did you buy ?

Edited by - davebo on 14 Dec 2000 14:34:54

I was going to ask about that.

I seem to remember someone saying one (or more) of the EBC pad types warped discs. I had red stuff pads in which performed excellently. I switched to Mintex and they didn't seem quite as good. I was going to switch back to the red stuff pads, but not if they're going to stuff (no pun intended) my discs.

James Whiting were pretty astonished that I wanted red stuff for a Caterham and said green stuff were up to the job.

What does the panel think ?

Davebo

C7 CAR

I'd find it hard to see how a pad material could warp a disc.

The only reasons I would consider going to the reds would be (a) if the greens were getting too hot and falling apart, or (b) if I wanted to change the front/rear balance by putting different pads at each end.

The greens don't need any heating up to work properly, the reds do supposedly.

Mike