Click here if you are having website access problems ×

loose quick release steering wheel

andydavy

I got fed up with fighting the free play on splined QR wheel .... using a thick grease and centre-punching the middle of the raised splines to spread then a little. Changed to a Rapfix QR unit .... so much better. No play as it has balls that are sprung into holes, rather than splines.

Depending whether you remove the wheel every time you get in and out of the car, or only when the roof is on, PTFE plumbing tape works well to remove slack. 4 pieces draped across the top of the shaft in 45 degree increments is what I use, but I generally get in and out of the car without removing the wheel, as I hardly have the roof on, relying on the tonneau most of the time.

to be accurate it was a club member competing in another series at an event we were at.

The steering wheel failed to latch fully due to wear and came off on a high speed corner.......

Nasty impact that thankfully he was unharmed, however to echo Nicks comment, its not worth the risk relying on simple "fixes"

Personnally I run the Rapfix, which seems substantially more solid in engagement and if it does ware seems to fail to safe and becomes more difficult to get off rather than becoming loose.

Caterham quick release retention is balls into grooves - and the only time mine came close to coming off was when I hadn't realised the guy sat in it at a club night trial making Brrm-brrm noises hadn't put it two clicks on down the column when he got out . . . I climb out of competition car and into the Caterham . . ' enjoying myself on the twisties going home when I very quickly realised something wasn't quite right . . .

Play in the anti-rotation splines is another matter - I can feel a ting amount of play in mine after 18 yrs, but not enough to notice when driving.

• Area Representative

Grease on the splines/inside the QR coupling helps to decrease play.

The QR on my car exhibited so much play after only 10 months it reminded me of driving an old Land Rover or tractor !

I removed the upper shaft & QR sent via CC to Lifeline for an overhaul under warranty. Returned in perfect health & six years on the play is virtually unnoticeable more so with lubricating.

I would suggest that the QR & upper shaft are sent to Lifeline for overhaul. I would imagine that the overhaul cost cheaper than a new QR & matched upper shaft?