Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Roll bar woes, possible exorcism needed

CtrMint

Mine didn't line up, the holes in the bar were too far to the rear by 2 to 3 mm. I left the rear bars which attach to the rear chassis mounts unbolted, and then had my other half pull on the top horizontal bar towards the rear of the car, this gave sufficient movement in the recessed mounts to get the bolts in. Also remember, as the bolt heads are so shallow, you really need a cut down socket to tighten them up to save the socket from slipping off.

Just trying to understand what you are wrestling with and see if we can help Mark.

When you had the bar ends resting in their recesses and unfixed, are you saying that each side was 3mm misaligned? If the misalignment was in the same orientation i. e. Both sides were 3mm off line outboard, or ditto inboard you have 6mm of misalignment.  Or is the misalignment 1.5 mm per side giving 3mm in total?

Whatever,  if you are understandably reluctant to persevere, as suggested I would provide Derek the dimensions between your chassis hole centers and he can then match a bar to fit your chassis before shipping. 

Hi CtrMint, you don't seem to have much luck.

I had problems fitting my FIA roll bar recently too. It slotted in tight but ok, the chassis bolts would not line up and bite, so ending up spending ages jiggling one side/other side, up/down, for/aft until a couple of threads on each side bit, and then gradually turned a few more on each side, and eventually it pulled down ok. 

Pleased with myself, then looked at the 2 rear bars and they did not line up with the brackets !

BTW - I have a Sigma (I know you have a Duratec so may be different) and a bottle of 5L engine oil was supplied. I pulled the dipstick out of curiosity and found it filled to the max already !

A recent photo..IMG_20190108_163510.thumb.jpg.79d7e38c972b95bca50b816ca2c321ea.jpg

Hi,

I'm not intentionally being vague here, but according to my photo record the attempt was back on the 31st October, and my memory of the exact ratio of which side was out by what isn't really there.  I simply recall looking from underneath and seeing around 3mm overlap.  Sorry all, I appreciate the support with this..... but like I say it was a bit ago.

CC (SimonL) committed to shipping me a replacement for the replacement tomorrow so hopefully, I'll receive Wednesday, maybe Thursday, and hopefully it won't suffer at the hands of couriers, at which point I'll provide plenty of detail as to where I am with the new one, including more specific information of the alignment.