Click here if you are having website access problems ×

1.4 series advice

rover

Many thanks for the advice on the fitting of a 5sp box. Think I'll give that one a miss!

Instead I'm thinking of splashing out on a 1.4series. Any advice, good and bad, would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

• Leadership Team

I've run a 1400 for 4 years - very good way into Se7ening. It's a little lacking in torque - particularly noticeable with a passenger, but really great fun when only driver. Everybody else always commented that I appeared to have no difficulty keeping up!

The advantage of the 1400 is that you're getting most of the up-to-date technology aka de-dion / Rover /injected engined cars, at a pretty budget price, that can easily be upgraded later.

I ripped out the engine before Christmas and fitted an 1800 - ready for a progression after 4 years! Conversion from 1400SS to 1800SS, including completely refurbishing the internals and fitting a lightweight flywheel worked out at about £900 - this level of cost for the conversion makes a 1400 a damn good buy as a learning car to move up later.

You certainly wouldn't be unhappy.

Stu.

My advice is do it as soon as possible, after 98K miles in my Xflow car I bit the bullet and bought the cheapest 1.4 I could find and what a difference, that was 5 yrs ago and the car has gone through many changes including a supersport conversion but now has a vvc engine.

My suggestion would be try and get one with a 6 spd box if at all possible, mine was a 5 spd and its serious money to change and the revvy 1.4 is ideally suited to the 6 spd

There should be some cheaper ones available

Simon

Unfortunately there are some cheap ones about.

You can now pick up a 6spd 1.4SS for the same money I paid for my 5spd 15 months ago - @£11,000. There were at least two for sale last time I looked in that section. Don't look now because my non-depreciating car has depreciated!! *mad* *mad* *mad* 🙆🏻 *thumbdown*

Does it matter, coz I ain't gonna sell it *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup* 😬 😬 😬 😬 😬 😬 😬

Stu,

tell us more about your conversion to 1.8.

How much did you have to pay for a s/h 1.8K. How many miles. What did you need to do for the conversion?

(I have a 1.4SS BTW, have access to a 1.8 and am thinking along the same lines!!)

• Leadership Team

Fordy, costs worked out as follows:

1800 bottom end, 16,000 miles, ex VVC: £350 - typical price could be anything from £150 to £350, I guess?

Top end gasket set (DVA): £65

Conversion gasket set (DVA): £20

New Piper cam belt (DVA): £29

1800 straw coloured injectors: £50, s/h ex Dave Andrews

1400 Lightweight flywheel (Caterham): £100

AP racing clutch plate (Caterham): £75

Helix clutch cover (Mardi Gras Motorsport): £110 - both needed to accomodate extra torque.

Spigot bearing & bush (QED): £25 - needed to convert Rover engine to mate to Ford gearbox.

Clutch release bearing (Caterham): £11.65

Syner G Oil (Mav - bulk buy): £15

Coldstream coolant (local car shop): £15

Grin factor: £priceless

Total - approx £870 (but depends upon cost of 1800 unit - could be as low as £650??)

I spent an extra £140 on rings & bearings, and rebuilt the engine with Dave Andrews, but whether you do that depends upon your opinion of the 1800 unit you get. Then you start looking at silicon hoses and .........

Also needed to trim end of input shaft to gearbox - see previous threads.

Car will run great on 1400 mems due to 1800 injectors, but be carefull with the rev limit!

If you need any more details, e-mail me.

Stu.

I ran a 1400 SS (rolling road tested at 133 bhp) for a fair while. That engine was great. That figure by the way was achieved at 35,000 miles. Another guy testing a same spec car got 132bhp about twenty minutes after mine so I'd guess they are all pretty good. Would go for a six speed car in preference to a five speed as the first to second 'jump' without the torque is a bit of a drag. Been there, done it etc etc

After all, the sixer was made originally especially for the 1400 to keep it 'on the boil' ! Light weight and very nimble cars when a 1400 SS is installed.

Bullet proof little lump.

Cheaper car tax too!!!!!!!

Clamshell Club Founder Member.