Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Boot Advice - Boot carpet and fuel pump cover

CtrMint

Guys,

Some more advice need, looking for the best approach from peoples prior experience.

I'm going to be putting the boot carpet and fuel pump cover in today, I'm also going to rivet the washer water bracket to the side of the fuel pump cover too.

First question, from the manual it looks like the advice is to trap the carpet underneath the fuel pump cover.  I was planning on putting the cover in first and then carpet on top, I'm using some 3M velcro type fixings which are stronger than normal velcro to secure the boot carpet.   Any reason why CC might recommend trapping the carpet under the cover?  Am I missing something?  I doubt but thought I'd pick your brains.

Second question, the manual simply states drill holes and use self tapers.   Seems simple but I have to say I'm very nervous about drilling down near the fuel tank. CC haven't provided a spec on the self tapers.  Does anyone know of the sizing.

Third. My plan is also to remove the plywood first to increase the vertical height down to the diff for filling?  Is this worth it? or will I regret it? Please let me know you thoughts. 

Thanks all, as always I appreciate your support and experience.

Btw, I've slightly more enthusiasm since making the decision to SVA locally.

I've slightly more enthusiasm since making the decision to SVA locally.

That's very good news!

I can't advise re trapping the carpet as my car had the washer bottle in the engine bay.  But you might want to think twice about using carpet at all, on the grounds that it's bound to get wet (unless you plan to use the full hood).  

IMO, a better solution (you could always do this later, after the car's on the road) is to invest in a sheet of neoprene rubber. I bought 1m x 1.4m of 3mm sheet from these people on eBay, made up a template and then cut out a bespoke sheet.  Works a treat!

And, yes, it's definitely worth removing the boot floor to get better access to the diff.

JV

Thanks John, It's actually the fuel cap cover that is trapping the carpet, I'm just attaching the washer bottle to that.  Did you trap the carpet or similar under the cover?

My aim is to make the carpet floor section removable with the 3M Double lock strips, that way if it gets wet I can remove it, but I also have full weather gear and so hopefully minimal water ingress.  I have to admit the 7 and Exige are dry day cars only, the Exige only ever sees wet weather when there is a prebooked track day, and I only track it around twice year, it probably see more water when its washed.

Sounds like my approach is suitable.  Just need to find out what size self taper I need.

And, yes, it's definitely worth removing the boot floor to get better access to the diff.

By which I mean the aluminium honeycomb jobbie.  I didn't bother taking out the plywood bit.

The self-tappers are likely to be either 71077 or 71080 (probably the latter).  You drill a small (2mm?) hole into the top layer of the honeycomb floor.  There's no danger of penetrating the fuel tank if you follow elie's advice.

JV

To my knowledge CC are now sending out Duratec cars with the washer bottle fitted in the boot, both the plumbing and electrics were pre-installed in my car.

Purplemeanie fitted his to the side of his boot, but I've recently seen a factory car where its on the fuel cap cover and I think I prefer that, even if its at a slight angle.

Ref Purplemeanie.

https://www.purplemeanie.co.uk/index.php/2017/10/22/build-session-28-boot-floor-fuel-filler-shroud-and-carpets/

Did you trap the carpet or similar under the cover?

IIRC, I did on my 1.8K, but that was back in 1999!  I didn't glue it down, though.

My R400D didn't come with a boot carpet, so I made up my own, but soon replaced it with rubber sheet.

Re the self-tappers, I've just looked up my build notes and I used P/N 71077 (8 x 1/2), with a 2mm hole.

JV

I've safely and easily removed the boot floor.  Just looking up which fluids to add to the diff, I know there is an additive, something I've never used before.  

Once the diff has the correct fluid in I'll start adding things back, including the cover which I've now marked up drill holes etc.